Lighting for my seedlings

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by crystalblueatmosphere, Feb 16, 2010.

1. crystalblueatmosphere

crystalblueatmosphere New Seed

I've got several herbs seedlings going now and they are beginning to get their true leaves but I've noticed that they're a bit stringy so I bought a grow light today. My question is how far away from the plants should the light be for the best results? At the moment it's about 4-6 inches above them, is that too close?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Jigs Gaton
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Nicole Celeste
      Replies:
      Views:

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I just watched a program yesterday that said 4-6 inches was the right distance for a grow light.

4. crystalblueatmosphere

Thanks, I guess I'll leave it where it is and see how it goes! Funny how things work out, that just happened to be the height of the easiest place to set the lamp.

5. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

That is the height I started mine but I don't have "grow lights" I am using 8 4 foot 40watt florescent light bulbs. they are now about 1 to 1.5 feet away and seem to be doing quit well. All the best and keep us posted.

Advertisement
  6. crystalblueatmosphere

well the light plus some transplanting into bigger pots seems to have helped a lot, the basil and parsley both immediately started looking healthier and the leaves have grown a much darker shade of green. all the other plants seem to be pretty happy too, everything's growing like crazy now!

7. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

That's great to hear. Sometime they can aked like kids telling you they need something without talking. All you have to do is figure it out and that is what it sounds like you did.