lilac tree

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Richie Cooper, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hello Everyone,
    In the beginning of spring I bought my daughter a Wisteria Tree and a Lilac tree.They came in the mail as little 'twigs". We planted as instructed and now the Wisteria is doing great. But, the lilac tree, which is only supposed to grow about 8 feet tall is not doing well.
    It started growing and grew about 8 inches and also grew a lot of leaves, but then it just stopped growing. It has been about 5-6 weeks now and nothing is happening anymore. The leaves are still on the tree, but no new growth. Is there anything I can add to the soil to help it start growing again. :'(
    Once again, THANK YOU for any help.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'm no expert in Lilac growth rates, but it seems to me that 8 inches is a good amount of growth for a new tree. It should be setting new roots rather than top growth this time of year to prepare itself for winter.

4. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Netty,
    Thank you very much for the reply. I'm going to call my daughter and tell her not to worry about the tree. Thanks again. Have a great week.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The height given on plant tags is the height at maturity...for Lilacs that can be in 8-10 years.
    And like Netty said, it has to establish good roots before it can get to the business of growth and lots of blooms above ground. And sometimes it takes a couple of years for the roots to be well established and the tree to really start growing and blooming.

6. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

And also, as far as i know, lilac trees are SPRING plants. Meaning, they bloom early in spring, grow a bit and then all through the summer they just sit.
    I don't think there's any new growth on my lilac trees. Don't think they just grow on and on.