Lily pruning or training while young?

Discussion in 'How To:' started by BradM, Jun 19, 2021.

1. BradM

BradM New Seed

Hello I am new here and I have a question, as well as having more questions later on I'm sure.
    I have both a "Forever Susan" lily and a "Double Tiger Orange" lily. They are approx. 10" tall now. I understand that they will grow from 36" to 48" tall. Is it possible to prune or train them to not exceed the plants no taller than 24" tall, without killing them?
    Any advise what greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Interesting. I don't think so. I think lilies usually send up one stalk. By pruning it, i don't think you would get branching out the way you do with zinnias, marigolds, dahlias. I think you just wouldn't get any flowers.

Let's see what others on this site think.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I agree with CM ! Tiger lilies just produce the stalk with the flower cluster on top ! No way that I know of to prune without losing the reason you planted them,,,the flower !

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I agree with Cayuga and Mart. Lilies do not like pruning, and if you cut the stalk, you will get no flowers. If you cut the stalk back, you won't kill the plant, but you won't get flowers.
    If you want a smaller lily, try Stella D'Oro, or any of many "dwarf" lilies.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Just curious: @BradM are these lilies or daylilies?

6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I agree, don’t prune them. They grow well with other plants because they don’t shade them out to much. Once the flower is finished, you can deadhead them. If you want to bring them in for a flower arrangement, you can cut the flower stalk off where it joins the main stem. Do not remove any of the leaves on the main stem, because this provides the energy for the plants. Deadheading lilies is recommended to produce better flowers the next year. If you do bring flowers in for an arrangement, you may want to cut the anthers out with a pair of scissors, because they will produce a lot of pollen which may stain your tablecloth.

marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.