Little green leaves

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by purpleinopp, Feb 6, 2015.

1. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

In the past, the leaf would be clear if there was nothing new in a forum since my last visit. This doesn't seem to be working today.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The leaf stays green until you have read all the newest responses in that Forum. Click on the forum Title next to the green leaf and you will probably find other topics in that forum that you have not read.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi PIO if you'd like to turn all the leaves clear just use the Mark Forums Read link just below the main menu. This will be the same as if you had read any unread threads one by one.

5. purpleinopp

TYVM! I'm sure that's not how it worked before, I don't/never have read all posts, if don't have the plant mentioned in the subject. Before the update, if I went away from the site & came back but nothing was new since my last visit, the leaf was clear. I wasn't sure if that change was intended with the update or not. If that's how it's supposed to be now, it's working fine, but I did like it the other way, very useful.

Advertisement
  6. toni

That's one of the new features Frank mentioned - No longer lose your list of Latest Posts (due to closing your browser) in his GardenStew Upgrade - What's New? post yesterday.

You can use the Mark Forums Read link before you close your browser.

7. purpleinopp

TY for the reply, but I'm not sure I explained myself well. Here's a screenshot of what I mean. There are no new posts in either house plant forum or Plant ID since my last visit. Before the upgrade, those leaves would be clear unless/until something new was added to those forums.

Unktitled.png

8. purpleinopp

Here's another shot showing a clear leaf on a forum I've not visited for a long time, if at all, not sure. Unktitled.png

9. toni

New posts and unread posts are not always the same thing. New posts are those that were made since your last visit. Unread posts are new and old posts that you have not read.

Every time you logged onto GS on the old software it would only show new posts that had made since your last visit.
    The new software keeps all old unread posts available for you to catch up with and it shows the new posts too.

If you don't read all the posts and have no desire to, then before closing your browser each time click on Mark Forums Read, then the next time you log on there will only be green leaves on forums with new posts.

I like this new feature, if we have a power failure during a storm or I have to reboot because of software updates on my computer, then I don't miss out on posts I didn't get a chance to read yet.

10. Frank

I agree that was useful but my main gripe was that it was forced upon a member i.e. they had a refresh every day. Now a member has the control over when they want to refresh or not by using the Mark Forums Read link :)

Sorry about that PIO, this was a byproduct of the upgrade. It is a once off and when you use the Mark Forums Link at least once that will fix it :smt023

11. purpleinopp

TYVM for the help! I clicked that button. Now to wait for a leaf to turn green... fun! TY!
    This is working like y'all said it would, BTW. Thanks again for the help!

Frank likes this.
  12. Frank

Glad it helped you PIO :like: