Looking for a perennial to go with my garden path

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Errol, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Errol

Errol New Seed

ok I will be finishing the tobacco stick fence up end of week. Now I need some advise from any of you because I know most all of you have years of garden experience over me! I started building garden paths today. right now I just laid the pavers on the grass untill a few days later I will dig down and set the pavers so I can mow over them. What I want is a perennial, something that grows very low, something perhaps with color (tiny flowers) something that will also perhaps stay green all yr maybe. any suggestions please? here are some pictures so far..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] :?:

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Where did you want to plant it? Between the pavers or along the edges? Either way the first thing that came to mind is Thymus serpyllum aka Creeping Thyme, Mother of Thyme, Wild Thyme...it has many common names.

Low grower, spreads and in mild climates it will remain evergreen and could bloom from spring thru fall. Check it out to see what it does in your area.

4. Errol

Errol New Seed

Toni, I think I would first run it along both edges, then let it grow between the pavers. I really thank you for your input and I will look up what you described. thank you again
    Errol :-D

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    The thymes are great. There is also wooly thyme if the area gets sun for a portion of the day (gray fuzzy foliage and pink flowers, real toughy). My favorite between the pavers is Corisian mint. Tiny plant with a high powered minty smell when you walk on it. I love this little plant and it is tough. You might want to try out a few different varieties and see which one does the best for your micro climate.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'd have picked thyme or corsican mint too. I love them both. :D Another suggestion is the Isotoma fluviatilis 'Blue Star Creeper'. It's hardy where I live, and spreads willingly. It can take foot traffic well too, and is semi-evergreen as far as I've seen. I've only had it since last spring and the winter here was very hard so I won't know how it behaves in more snow-less winters yet.

7. Errol

Errol New Seed

thank you everyone for the suggestions.. I may try several of your varities. I really enjoy this forum, I see that I can learn alot here. I just hope one day I will be able to return the favor here. :-D

8. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I also think Creeping Thyme would be good!
    There are a variety of groundcovers to choose from. At a couple nurseries I shop at, they are called "steppables", and are perfect for walkways and patios.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If for some reason creeping thyme doesn't work for you, consider horse herb (Calyptocarpus vialis). It is evergreen, low growing to about 3", and has small yellow flowers. It is practically indestructible and doesn't need to be mowed at all. You can start it from seed, or from plugs.