Looking for an easy way to make strawberry perserves

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by margie12u, Jun 13, 2010.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hello, I'm looking for an easy way to make strawberry perserves, Or maybe even canning some which I have no idea of. I want to can some tomatoes but I need tomatoes for dummies.So if anyone knows about this can you help please.

Thank you margie :-?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Bluebell

Bluebell New Seed

My auntie just made some strawberry jam...she used the recipe from the Sure-Jell box...it is delicious!

3. Rozilla

Rozilla New Seed

I think there is a recipe for strawberry freezer preserves on the Sure-Jell box too. If not, just google. I tried the regular canning method last year, but it was not only a pain but didn't turn out nearly as well. I vote for freezer preserves! Now tomatoes, I don't know about those. Never tried that.

4. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

Sure enough sure jell freezer jam is the way to for easy. Just need to find room in the freezer. This jam is even good on ice cream.

Advertisement
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Tomatoes for Dummies !!

Easiest things in the world to can. I am canning them now. I usually make at least two or three cases for the winter. Bring a large pot of water to boiling and put tomatoes in for a minute, remove and place in cool water. This makes the peels slip off easily. Peel and quarter and remove any green core. Line up jars and add one teaspoon salt to each jar. ( I also add a couple of slices of jalapeno peppers to the jar but this is optional ) Pack tomatoes into jars with enough liquid to come to within 1/2 inch of top. Use a knife to make sure that there are no air pockets in jars. Wipe top and place lid and ring on jar and tighten down firmly. Process 35 minutes in boiling water bath making sure that water is at least 1 inch over the jars, counting from the time the water comes back to a boil. After 35 minutes, remove jars and set in a draft free place to cool. You will hear the ding as they seal. If one doesn`t seal ( the lid should be down ) you can refrigerate and use them now or replace the lid and reprocess. Not sure but if you are at a higher altitude you might have to add 5 minutes. I am in Texas so we do the 35 minutes.

6. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Here is how I make my strawberry jam
    Cook berrie is water .
    One cup berries to half cup water
    Add cup of sugar.
    Boil at a full rolling boil, till jam slides of the wooden spoon in 2 drops.
    We love it .
    No sure jell here. Waste of money an the flavor is not as good.

My impression.
    b

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I make mine the same way. Shur-Gel isn`t even necessary for jam. If I am making a lot I process it 8 to 10 min. in a boiling water bath just to make sure it seals well for long term storage !!