Looking for feedback - Love it or Hate it?

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by odd_ball, Aug 29, 2008.

1. odd_ball

odd_ball New Seed

I've just finished redecorating my living (I think!) and I'm looking for some feedback. I went a little more color crazy in this room, which is something I'm not used too and I want to know what others think when they see this room. Any suggestions? I couldn't get the photo to post here (I'm not very savvy sorry :( ). But you can view them here http://www.micasastyle.com/go/view/space/219948. Please take a look and be honest! Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. cornishwoman

cornishwoman New Seed

I truly like it,and I love the red panel,its very warm and relaxing,you should be very proud of your self.cw

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The room is beautiful. The colors are very pretty, since you like lots of color...go for it. It is your home, decorate it as you see fit.

The furniture arrangement leaves a big empty space in the middle of the room. Fine for a dancing but not if you are going for a cozy and comfy place to watch TV.

Try moving the sofa in to the middle of the room facing the fireplace. Not pushed up against the wall where the window is but try centering it in that space or maybe a little closer to the window wall if that helps with walking space.

I would put the TV/electronics in a corner cabinet with doors to hide it when not in use, it does distract from the look of the room.

Move the table from under the window to the wall where the sofa is with that one chair where it is but find another, maybe smaller chair for the other side.

But since I have lived in small houses for most of my life, I've never been able to have a piece of furniture that doesn't have a purpose so I would
    replace the table with a small desk that would be more functional than a table and make the other chair a small desk chair.
    Or possibly a desk in the corner with a small chair, then place a small table with lamp next to the other chair for reading.

You have track lights shinning on the wall above the sofa, they should be shinning on something like a painting or something similar to what is over the fireplace but not quite as large.

Also, I think, the shelf to the right of the window is too small for that space and hung too high. Try it on that smaller wall to the left of the window and center between the drop down part of the ceiling and the top of the chair back.
    With that shelf moved then you could get a Secretary desk to put on that wall. A tall one with a glass front cabinet on top and a drop-lid that creates the desk when opened. But all these desk suggestions are predicated upon whether you need a desk or not ;)

5. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Greetings OB
    I think it is just beautiful! I would love to have
    such a warm and inviting room in my home.
    I love the Autumnal colors, and the fireplace is
    set apart with white. Bravo!

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The colours you have used to decorate your room are really lovely. They remind me of the Victorian colours you see in some of our British stately homes - very elegant. :stew2:

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

OB, I think you did an amazing job. I love the dark vibrant colors. :)
    One thing that Toni mentioned was the track lighting shining on the wall but not accenting anything. :rolleyes: I agree with that, but she has 'eagle eyes' (he-he) and I didn't notice the other items she mentioned !!!lol

8. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I love it ;)

9. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

Very cool!

10. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I love the colors! every thing in the room works so well together. good job! :-D

11. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Love it! I too have brown-family walls with dark red curtains, it provides a very warm room. How did you do the ceiling?

12. qphomedecor

qphomedecor New Seed

I agree with eileen very elegant, wonderful colors! I did notice the track lights that toni mentioned and the empty space between the couch and the tv/fireplace. I would advise the same maybe play around with moving it closer to have more of a welcoming feel to it. But I must say great job and love the worm colors.

13. odd_ball

odd_ball New Seed

Hey all, thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! I'm very excited about decorating my home and I'm glad you all liked the colors. I will take some of your tips regarding the placement of the furniture, because I do find it needs a little help in that area. I'm also looking for a cabinet to hide away the electronics. I hope to be posting some more photos of other rooms in my home soon, so stayed tuned! Thanks again!

14. odd_ball

odd_ball New Seed

and I'm back!

I finally got around to getting all the paint colors together. Here is the information!
    Wall- Para Paints # P2719-2 McGregor Bay
    Ceiling- Para Paints # 2704-1 Autumn Glow background in frame over mantle- Beautitone # 3B3-8 Rave Review
    :)

15. tonya27

tonya27 New Seed

wow!

Wow, Odd_Ball, that is one lovely room! I love the colors you used. It really shows off the unique moldings and high ceiling. Is that stencil you used on the ceiling or some sort of wallpaper? beautiful job!

16. Titan

Titan New Seed

cool recessed lightings, love it definitely