Looking for ideas and advice in decorating this condo

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by garpinc, Mar 1, 2013.

1. garpinc

garpinc New Seed

I'm about to decorate a condo we're buying

I've attached a few pictures with how the previous owner furnished the same space.

I also 3D modeled the place with sketchup and uploaded the 3D model to 3dvia so you can walk through the 3D model.

http://condo3d.realtychum.com

Any advice would be very welcome before we go buy a whole lot of furniture.

[​IMG]
    living room ( photo / image / picture from garpinc's Garden )

[​IMG]
    living room 2 ( photo / image / picture from garpinc's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from garpinc's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Living Room ( photo / image / picture from garpinc's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Kitchen ( photo / image / picture from garpinc's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Love the big windows! Congrats on your new home.

4. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

First thing I would do is either replace curtains or raise rods, or shorten, get them up off the floor so they hang nicely and no longer look like wrinkled rags add nice big colorful area rugs in all room area's to anchor the furniture and brighten up the space. Photo of DR makes the space look dark? maybe fresh lighter paint on the walls? That's a start for you.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I can't open the attachment, so I can't see what you have in mind, but once you remove those "curtains" it will really change the room anyway. I don't think I would use such dark, boxy furniture, either. It looks too big for the area.

Advertisement
  6. garpinc

garpinc New Seed

Same curtain color?

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't have to live with the curtains, you do, so my opinion doesn't really help you, but I don't care for the color or style of them myself. Go look at a drape selection at the store. you will see colors and textures that appeal to you. I have blinds on all my windows. I don't like curtains. after a while they are dusty and expensive to dry clean if they aren't washable and those look like a lot of fabric to fit into a machine and have them come out looking as good as new. Just my opinion. Cats, dogs and children are also hard on curtains. Do you need curtains for privacy or just because windows always seem to have curtains on them? I like to be able to see out the windows, I like the sunshine to come in. All a personal preference, but maybe not for you.

I looked at the video and it is totally different than what is here in the forum.

Once the rooms are cleaned out it will look different again. Are you going to paint? or leave it the same colors? even thought the paint looks to be in excellent shape, do you like the colors? You can add color by using rugs, throws, pillows art, etc. but keep the walls a neutral color OR not. Whatever you like. I find my neutral colors don't bore me after a few years like the colors do and I can inexpensively add a few pops of color or themes for the holiday by changing the "props" in the room.

Have I helped make it more difficult? Mostly food for thought to make your own choices since you are going to see it every day.

I can't open the condo3d, my computer won't allow me to. sorry, but the video was doable. Thanks

Henry Johnson and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. garpinc

garpinc New Seed

My opinion is that the unit does look a little drab..

I think it's a combination of the fact it was raining outside when I saw it, the current furniture, the paint color and the curtains.

I think it will be scary to cover up perfectly good paint that's in excellent condition with another color only to be perhaps unhappy with the outcome.

I guess that's where my artistic ability is failing me as I feel totally unqualified to make a paint color decision. I think it's something to do with my high school art teachers opinion of my artwork :)

Curtain height is technical. I can certainly shorten them or take them down all together if I don't need them. Owner is leaving the curtains so they won't cost me anything. I guess i'll find out more about the privacy issue when I move in.

9. NellyRogers

NellyRogers New Seed

Adding bright colors

I would add some bright colors. There is a lof brown, which is natural and liked by me. So if you add some green elements or yellow, the interior would look more attractive, cozy and cheerful. You can change some pieces of furniture, textile or just add green plants. The space will look more alive!

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Garpinc,
    I think it is a lovely condo! All those windows are great! And I like the wood & gleaming metal of the kitchen.
    Some questions for you: Is the condo a 'blank slate', are you starting new with furniture &decorating stuff, or do you already have furniture that you want to incorporate? If it is the former, I suggest that you think of a theme, and decorate around that. When my husband & I added on to our house, the theme I used was (you guessed it) a garden. So we incorporated some arches, some photos of gardens, lots of plants, small outdoor sculptures that we used indoors, etc. You get the idea. (Actually now that I think of it, you could obviously still go with a theme even if you ar incorporating stuff you already have.) Check out the home decorating magazines for ideas: Cape Cod: white paint on trim, pale blue upholstery, maybe a piece of wicker, some sea glass, etc; desert theme: earth tones, stone sculpture, natural wood furniture, some Indian art objects etc Again, you get the idea.

I agree with Carolyn about the curtains, but that is individual taste. I prefer to look out. I know those photos on the windows are not yours, but I would not block the view that way. I think I would also add a mirror on the wall of the dining area. That would open that area up more and might even catch/reflect the ourdoor scene, lightening it up even more.

I agree with you about the paint. It looks fairly neutral to me. I think I would go with it. The photos of it on Gardenstew are dark, so I am guessing the paint is actually lighter than it appears online.

Good luck! Please show us photos when you are done!

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Garpinc,
    I TOTALLY understand the worry of "what if I don't like it any better than what I just covered up". If you want to paint it there is help at LOWES. They have a section of color combos that go together. I picked out the main color I liked and went with a couple of the other complementary colors. I never regretted doing that. But go with something not too loud, otherwise I think you may get tired of it soon, but maybe not. do you like bold colors? if so, you won't like a pastel on the wall if someone else suggests it. (I still recommend neutral to skip that issue). QUIT worrying about your old art teacher. You can't do anything about her/his opinion and always remember art is SUBJECTIVE to the viewer(aka your art teacher) You may LOVE something and I am still trying to decide if I even like the texture the background has on it....or I may LOVE something and you look at me as if I lost my one remaining brain cell. SEE all subjective. Rembrandt or Picasso, some love/despise each one. Pick out a main color YOU like. You are living with it, you are paying the bill. You get to choose whether you are wasting time worrying/stressing over someone elses opinion or spend you time being content with your choices. I recommend you be content, it is ever so much easier.

Do you like the curtains? can you or do you have the time and tools and skill to change them or is it best to just replace them ? If you choose to try something yourself you are not out anything to speak of.

Do you have a spouse that will care one way or the other as to what colors/styles you will choose. Mine would NEVER care what I chose one way or another as long as I don't touch his pianos (as in get rid of any of them).

12. garpinc

garpinc New Seed

It's mostly a blank slate

It's a blank slate except for the curtains and the hanging yellow light. I do have a spouse but so far we're on the same page of indecision which is why I decided to seek outside help.

So far we're leaning to the following furniture and would also appreciate some feedback:

For barstools:
    http://whitelinemod.com/wholesale_furniture_miami/miami_wholesale_furniture.php?id=4&&pid=198

For dining chairs (in brown):
    http://whitelinemod.com/wholesale_furniture_miami/miami_wholesale_furniture.php?id=20&&pid=12

Sectional:
    http://www.gswfurniture.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=178

For dining table: CALLIGARIS OMNIA XL EXTENDIBLE TABLE EXPANDS TO 118" (CS-4058-xll180)
    http://www.inmod.com/calligaris-omnia-xl-extendible-table-cs-4058-xll180.html

Bed:
    http://www.citischemes.com/Bedroom+Furniture/Platform+Beds/Miss+Italia+Camel+Bed+Set
    with the 2 nightstands and dresser.

13. Cayuga Morning

I get it. You are going for a metro kind of look. I would ditch the curtains unless you really like them and do something more comtemporary/stylish/minimalist. Given your location, you will probably want to be able to close the window treatments for privacy. Louvered wood blinds?

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Nothing wrong with your choices. But did you notice the window coverings in the bedroom and livingroom? NONE. So while you have curtains, do you need to keep them? I am in like mind on the blinds. Something minimal for a covering. I don't think the curtains are a good fit for keeping with the selection you are leaning towards for style.

15. garpinc

garpinc New Seed

Ok one wrinkle to this is that we're expecting a baby in July. So I'm hoping the stuff we already chose is somewhat baby safe. They have reported that blinds specifically are not baby safe and supposedly strangle babies (I guess it's the cord that does it).

In any case can you guys suggest an example of blinds that would go well with the condo look we're trying to achieve?

Also Condo docs state following:
    All draperies, as well as any other window treatments and hanging material, must be ?re resistant and in compliance with standards set by the New England Fire Insurance Rating Board, and may not be closer than one inch (1 ") to heating units. All draperies, window treatments and window coverings in every Unit visible from the exterior of the Buildings shall be lined with an off-white material or shall be off-white on the facing side, visible from the exterior, such that when closed or drawn the appearance of the window or door from the exterior of the Buildings shall be off-white. This paragraph shall not apply to the Commercial Units.

16. Cayuga Morning

Hmmm... that is a wrinkle. Actually I was thinking that wood blinds might not go so well with your look anyway. You could go with simple white blinds or metallic ones. I am pretty sure you can buy a gizmo to make the cords baby safe (BTW, congrats!!!). It gets the cords up & out of reach.
    Another idea that I think would be pretty cool would be to have shutters. They would have to be bi-fold ones, white on the street side, any color you want on the living room side. It looks as though you have the clearance for them on each side of your windows. Might be interesting. The louvers go up & down so you could control the amount of light you have & you wouldn't have to worry about dangerous cords.