Lotus pics... =)

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by swervo513, Sep 12, 2008.

1. swervo513

swervo513 New Seed

My lotus only arrived 2 days ago and it is blooming. I Hope im doing everything ok. Looks good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I basically used some indoor/outdoor potting soil to poor over the roots of the plant than I used some gravel to hold the soil in place.

-Lorenzo

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. gman
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. cherylad
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your lovely bloom!:D

4. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Does this overwinter? It's such a pretty bloom. I hope it does well for you. Let us know.
    Gardengater

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your lotus is lovely and I hope it remains healthy for you. :-D It cetainly seems happy to be where it is now.

Advertisement
  6. swervo513

swervo513 New Seed

It does look happy. I will bring it indoors over the winter and hope it survives. I have no experience with these guys and I will let you know how it does. Ill keep you updated through out the winter with pictures. My only regret is that I didnt do this sooner (like the beginning of summer).

What I can tell you is that it's common name is 'Indiana' and I bought it at texaswaterlilies.com. Its a great site for 'newbies' with decent prices and good information. It was the smallest species I could get so thats why it fits so comfortably in that 4-5 gallon pot.

One question. Does it sprout more than one flower?

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Beautiful Lotus.It would be a shame if it doesn't make it.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

9. swervo513

swervo513 New Seed

Hey Thanks for the website. Very informative.

To update you guys on the plant's status... I regret to say that the plant did not bloom today for the first time, which is really odd. The first 2 days it bloomed and it was not that warm out. Today was pretty hot and the sun was strong but it did not bloom. I figured (from reading that article and my own observations) that it was one of two things.
    1. It may have went into hibernation because of the cold it experienced.
    2. It may have been that the water had not been circlulating considering it is in a relatively small pot in comparison to a pond. Also the water changed color and became more yellowish. To fix this I put an old aquarium pump in there to circulate the water.

Im not really sure what else to do. Should I put a water heater in there?

I want to add that the water temperature seems to change drastically depending on how hot or cold it is outside. This is something which bigger ponds may not experience. Is my plant doomed? :oops:

10. swervo513

swervo513 New Seed

The water has taken a brownish tint to it today and the water pump I added may be stirring up the water a bit to much. I may have to get one with lower GPH (gallons per hour). Flower still not blooming but leaves seem ok. Water temperature is a bit more stable with the pump. I added some water because the level had dropped. Ill post new pictures ASAP.

11. Stephinalta

Stephinalta Seedling

If you are going to overwinter your lotus indoors I think you should get a water heater for now, bigger ponds have more of a surface for the sun to hit & hold the temp. longer then a small pot of water would, so the constant temp. changes might have thrown your lotus into survival mode/hybernation. The water heater will keep it at a steady temp. even indoors.

12. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

ponds

Hi swervo513, I was just looking at you little water pond in the black tub its very nice, Did it grow over the summer? I would love to make one just like that for my deck.Did you say you put a aquarium pump in it? I think it would be nice to have a couple of them for each corner of my deck,Any information would be appreciated,You make me really want spring to be here.

Thank you so much
    Margie

13. Sara

Sara New Seed

sweet lotus.
    look so good growing up.

14. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Your Lotus is lovely.
    I am envious - it is stunning for only two day and already blooming.
    Is that a prickly pear in the container behind teh Lotus? You have the best of both worlds - water and earth gardening. :-D

15. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Your water lily is gorgous! Lucky you to have it come with blooms that were set. It is really early for them to be blooming yet, unless you are in the South. My sheltered hardy water lilies are just now beginning to have their leaves emerge to the top of the water.

The water lilies in my bigger pond are not yet to be seen.

I don't filter, or circulate any of the water in my outdoor ponds. One of the ponds is smaller than your barrel. They all do fine and set in the ground they have wintered over for over 25 years in their little ponds. The ponds have never frozen to the bottom.

I am sure your lily is probably a little shocked coming up North from Texas, but by summer will have more blooms. Water lilies are pretty tough. Mine have survived raccoons eating most of tubers, and ripping the lily pads all off.

It won't be many years before you will have lots of tubers to share. Enjoy!

16. Christy

Christy New Seed

Hi,is this a waterliliy?