Lotus seed harvesting... what happened?

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by mgouelle, Oct 13, 2009.

1. mgouelle

mgouelle New Seed

I bought an asiatic alba lotus tuber this past summer and grew it successfully in a container. I fertilized it regularly and got about 5 blooms from it. I wanted to collect the seeds but instead of them hardening and naturally falling out like they are supposed to instead they shriveled up and disapeard the ones that remained were like air filled sacs. what happened? is there something more I need to do to ensure that the flowers seeds get fertilized? I would have had about 60 seeds but none survived. I would like to be ready next year if anyone knows anything please help

Thanks.

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm just guessing here, but are you certain this variety will set viable seeds?

4. mgouelle

mgouelle New Seed

I have no idea I was hoping someone could tell me. I just assumed like any plant it would like to reproduce and make viable seeds unless it was genetically altered not to... which would be sad....The seeds are all present and beautiful green when it blooms its just after when they are supposed to harden and darken that they shrivel up and nothing is in them like they never fertilized.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I've tried searching for it around the net, and I can't find any mention of it being infertile. Maybe it was just too young to bring the seeds to maturity? I wish you the best of luck with growing it.