Lucky Bamboo

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by ava.k, Jun 27, 2021.

1. ava.k

ava.k New Seed

I have a lucky bamboo planted in rocks and water instead of soil. I do not think I am taking proper care of it. Its leaves are brown on the tips and have definitely been yellowing more than they should. Also the water is filled with green algae and bacteria. We have another in the house that doesn't seem to be having any of these problems.

Last summer I accidentally left it in direct sunlight for far to long and it got a sun burn. I found somewhere on the internet to cut all the dead leaves off so I did. It sits at a north facing window.

If anyone has any advice, thank you!

Attached Files:

S-H likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. stripedog
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. aliencam
      Replies:
      Views:

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Put it in soil, after manually removing the algae from the roots. I had this plant about 17 years ago. So algae in stagnant water is always a problem with these plants...

So just plant it in soil, and everything will become alright. Algae can only grow when it has access to light. But once the roots of the planet are in the soil - This problem will end, and the plant will recover soon.

In soil, with plenty of regular watering, this plant will grow a lot faster. So from the cuttings of it later, you can experiment again by keeping them in water. If you so desire. Otherwise, they do just fine in soil.

Best of luck! :cool:

ava.k likes this.
  4. ava.k

ava.k New Seed

Thank you! This is definitely helpful!

S-H likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I agree ! Good old dirt works wonders ! Just do not over water it !

S-H and ava.k like this.
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I think one of the main misconceptions about this plant is, everyone incorrectly assumes that it's a water plant, (because of it's name, water bamboo or lucky bamboo).

Also, whenever on display, why is it that it is always placed in water, with some candle wax used to cap the stem from where it was cut??? I could never really understand this...

Like any other plant of land, this too actually grows best in soil. But because of how it is always displayed, people end up thinking that growing it in water is what's best for it.

It's actually just a sales gimmick, commercial plant sellers want you to kill your plants slowly and miserably. So you can keep on buying new plants from them later - I've seem similar things done with other plants also... Seriously, if we started growing and propagating such plants ourselves. Then who will buy anything from them?

Same story with hybrid seeds also. They are trying to move Heaven and Earth to popularize them - Promising big yields and what not. So that you keep on buying seeds from them, (as seeds obtained from hybrid plants never give good results).

It's really a very vicious cycle of enslavement, which we all need to break free from... Next biggest headache of a similar nature on the horizon - Genetically modified plants and seeds, (tailor made to make you completely dependent on the suppliers of seeds).