Mailboxes

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Cayuga Morning, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This latest batch of mailbox misfits had some real jewels in it. Their names are such classics. A clever cloggs, you are.

2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am just curious if it's a thing with our town alone. Or if it's everywhere that gets heavy snowfall. Our mailboxes get wiped out with such frequency that I think folks give up on respectability and go with anything that the mailman will deliver to.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I don’t know what to think about it. When I lived in Alaska, snowploughs were of course used all winter long, but I do not recall seeing so many mistreated mailboxes...snowblowers did eat the odd snow-covered compact though.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Whoa!!! Really?!

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yeah, I saw one that had been parked beside the road at the airport in Valdez. To understand how something like this could happen, you have to realise how much it snows in Valdez in the winter. Lookit this:
    C08AE384-23FC-42D0-849B-3E3209F425DC.png

That’s more than 300” / year !
    When I lived there, during the snowy period the snow on the sides if the streets had been snow-blown as tall as the streetlights. It was like walking in an enormous white maze of gigantic proportions.
    I got around with a snow-machine during the winters and was crazy enough to drive it up on top of those snow pilings. Ah, those were the days.

6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

These are great pictures.

I have to travel to a post office to pick up my mail...very boring. However, also funny how many times my character has been questioned because I have a PO Box number. People think I'm up to something shoddy when I give it instead of a street address. hahaha.

Cayuga, my neighbour and I have mail boxes at the ends of our driveways for neighbours to drop things off rather than drive up the long driveway to the house. Sometimes we pick up each other's mail, or drop of eggs, magazines for each other etc. I'm afraid they look pretty clean and unbothered. I think some of the ones you picture would fit in better - especially the one on the log for me. :)

eileen, Cayuga Morning and Droopy like this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Sjoerd Wow!!! I won't grumble anymore about not seeing the top of the fence posts this year hahahaha That is a LOT of snow!! My husband snowmobiled in Snohomish Pass in Washington many years ago and told of similiar sites - the tops of large trees looked like tiny trees and he had to be mindful of not falling into tree wells. I'll keep my 40 inches ....and no more grumbling. ;)

eileen and Droopy like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chuckle. My Bride was snowmobiling one night, got up on top of some trees, the snowmobile stalled, she got off and sunk immediately up to her armpits. It took some work but we finally got her and the snowmachine back on the ground.

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Haha, I love your snow stories! Thankfully we never get that much snow where we live. Up north and further inland is a totally different story though. One snow winter we had to shovel snow off the roof. The piles were so big we could climb up on the roof from the north side, and climp up and stare through the windows on the south side of the house. But life carries on, only slower.

I finally remembered to photograph one of the mailbox constructions around here yesterday. There are a couple more in the making, different from this one. I just need to remember to snap those photos:

20220412_151324.jpg

Zigs, eileen, Cayuga Morning and 2 others like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That’s a snappy snapshot from a snappy snapper. You snap like a turtle— not often, but when you do it’s like, forevvvuh.

eileen, Cayuga Morning and Droopy like this.
  11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Thanks! It was from horseback and the horse wanted to go home so I had to hurry with that one.

eileen, Cayuga Morning and Melody Mc. like this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

I like that @Droopy! So tell me, what's on the roof? Were those plants planted there on purpose, or have they just taken up residence?

This next mailbox is a Wild Animal PXL_20220409_152019249.MP_compress90.jpg

All caged up

PXL_20220409_152010893.MP_compress14.jpg

PXL_20220409_152003481.MP_compress59.jpg

I think it's been subdued.

Zigs, Frank, Droopy and 2 others like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chuckle. This one is unique. A swinging cage. Even with that , the animal’s pride was dented.

Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  14. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I like this one - it shows determination hahahaha No one will be trying to knock that one over, or back into it. Not without a little medieval retaliation on the backswing. :sete_018::sete_050::sete_026:

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Cayuga Morning

PXL_20220420_130848610.MP_compress13.jpg PXL_20220420_130844940.MP_compress90.jpg PXL_20220420_130834687.MP_compress97.jpg

Not quite sure WHAT'S happening here ????

But, check out this next photo. It's obvious what's happened here PXL_20220420_130706007.MP_compress21.jpg

Attached Files:

Frank and Droopy like this.