Major bummer this morning

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Cayuga Morning, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I collect contractor buckets of used coffee grounds from a local coffee cafe to use in the garden. Can you guess what happened this morning? I had to brake quickly and one of the buckets upended all over my car. Even the front seat. I smell like a coffee pot. I haven't even begun addressing the car yet.

My husband said "well at least it wasn't beef stew".

2ofus, carolyn, Raddang and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Or manure!! I hope the coffee grounds were dry so that they can be cleared up more easily.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I know it was/is awful....but I couldn't help a little grin.
    Boy, oh boy--that will take some cleaning-up.

5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Oh noooooooo - that would be a terrible mess. Hope the staining isn't too bad. I know whereof you speak as I've grabbed up those big bags of coffee grounds too and have thrown them about the yard and gardens. Never ever thought about one of them bursting open........YIKES!

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

This is where a wet/dry vacuum comes in handy! I do hope you can get the car cleaned, and it no longer smells of pumpkin latte.
    We picked up a truckbed of rabbit manure, and I swear I can still smell it when I put anything into the truck bed. Thank heavens there wasn't too much to fit into the bed--I'd still have taken it and put it in the passenger seat!

7. Cayuga Morning

MG you are a woman after my heart! When my husband & I were young & foolish, we brought home 20 burlap bags of dried chicken & sheep manure from my parents "farm". In our station wagon. After the first hour, we couldn't smell it anymore....until we had to roll down the window to pay tolls! It was a 5 hour drive home. Ugghh! Never again!

Thank you all for your well wishes about my car. I have just come in from cleaning it. It wasn't so bad. Fortunately this was a bucket of espresso grounds....very fine & very dry. I used the shop vac. We shall see how the odor is in the morning.

Sjoerd and 2ofus like this.
  8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm happy to hear that the grounds were dry and wasn't a huge mess to clean up or stains to try to remove. I do have to ask how long did your station wagon smell of sheep manure?

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I know how that goes Cayu---I have to get manure and compost every year...filling the auto with a that remarkable smell. It is pretty strong, but then I do not have to drive around with it for five hours like you. ---That would be a real test on your olfactory faculties.

10. Cayuga Morning

2....It was so long ago, I don't remember. The ride itself was VERY memorable though. My husband & I were pretty crazy back then.

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh, heh, heh.....crazy is as crazy does---ach, maybe you weren't really so crazy. It was an adventure, that's for sure.
    Every year when
    When I have to transport the muck or compost, my nose burns for 2-3 days afterwards. I have done it so often my eyes are turning brown. ;)

12. Cayuga Morning

Sjoerd....chuckle. Your poor nose & poor eyes! Compost really makes a difference for growing things. What we gardeners do for our gardens!

Last year I stopped picking up the coffee grounds when it began to get c-o-l-d outside. I rinse the big buckets at our outside faucet at home; when the temperatures dropped, it was just TOO cold!......But I have recently realized there is a cleaner's spigot at one of my offices. Indoors! Where it is warm, with warm water. I could surreptiously clean my buckets out in the Ladies at work....in the dead of the night....or the wee hours. I am wondering about camouflage. I could camouflage myself as one of the cleaning crew.....No, that won't work: everyone already knows me...and the "Cleaning Crew" is a woman named Sandy.
    Sigh. l'll probably just ask permission of the owner. My wild & crazy days have given way to adult responsibility. At long last.

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh, heh, heh...I'll bet you were areal doozy a couple of years ago when you were younger. With the advent of all those adult tendencies do your old chums still recognize you?;)

14. mart

mart Strong Ash

Coffee grounds are frequently used to absorb bad odors in musty closets, drawers of old furniture ect. I have certainly had worse smells in my jeep.

15. Cayuga Morning

Mart....yeah, so far I am actually enjoying the coffee odor.
    Sjoerd.....my oldest friends like to tell tales about me!

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Dear, oh dear, oh dear......What were you like!