Marlingardener's garden

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by claysmom, Jul 19, 2012.

1. claysmom

claysmom New Seed

WOW! Love your insects especially that MOTH! I plant extra parsley every year for the caterpillars. Last year my husband came into the kitchen and "proudly" told me he had picked the worms off my parsley and killed them (he is not a gardener). I almost passed out. After I got my breath back (and beat down the urge to use the butcher knife in my hand on him) I patiently explained the difference between worms and caterpillars to him. I also asked him to stay out of MY garden unless he was picking the tomatoes or pulling the onions. That he can do without getting into trouble...usually. God love him, he's a City Boy and even after 40 years together, he'll never change.

moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

Annette likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think most of us try to make sure our hubbies don't touch anything they shouldn't in the garden. Mine is allowed to mow the lawn and trim the trees - maybe even fill the pond but that's it!! I think that men must have brains wired differntly to us women as weeds look like plants and plants look like weeds to them. :rolleyes:
    I hope the next batch of caterpillars manage to survive his 'helping' you out. :D
    Mine is a city boy too and it's taken years to get him trained but I still wouldn't swap him!!

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Claysmom, thank you for the compliment. We enjoy our critters (except grasshoppers) and try to plant for them. I have yet to harvest any fennel--the swallowtail caterpillars eat it all! I finally got a Passionflower vine to grow so the Gulf Frittilaries will have a host plant, other than the Gregg's Blue Mist.
    My husband wrote a pamphlet for Texas Parks & Wildlife about providing homes for critters--lots of plans for feeding stations, bird houses, and with a list of butterfly attracting and hosting plants in the back. There's another list for hummingbirds' favorite plants, too.
    I'm not alone in the garden--he helps out when he can, and never, never pulls a plant thinking it's a weed (he never weeds!).

5. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Quite the opposite here. Lost all my Toad-Lilies to her this year. :-x

6. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Claysmom:
    I actually felt you loosing your breathe...wow..i gasped for you. Your poor hubby thought he was helping...LOL. The butcher knife had me rolling!!!