May is the anniversary of the volcano explosion in 1980 see video

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Pacnorwest, May 28, 2024.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

2. Loading...

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

I was living in the midwest at the time. What I would have done, to witness that powerful event in person! From a safe distance, of course.

The earth is a powerful, powerful force.

I wonder if the ash enriches the soil. Maybe a an opportunity was missed, to package it for gardens?

Logan, Jewell, S-H and 1 other person like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

The ash was present in the skies around the world for days. It was a dark reminder of the power of volcanos.

Logan, Sjoerd, Jewell and 1 other person like this.
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I was around in 1980 when this happened. But wasn't aware of it, that's why I don't remember. However I do remember my sister building a model of a volcano out of plaster of Paris for her school project around that time. So I think it must be related to this. But im6not sure, will have to ask her whenever I meet next, (hope she would remember).

I really do love seeing such things from history. So thank you @Pacnorwest for sharing this. And @Daniel W , yes indeed, the Earth is for sure unimaginably powerful, (without a doubt)...

I myself very clearly remember the Mount Pinstubo eruption in the Philippines, in 1991. I can still recall that ash from it too circled the globe for weeks. The sunsets at my beach during those times would be like a dazzling mixture of a blazing red orange pink and purple, (which I have not seen since) - All because of the ash in the upper atmosphere. Which I thought was pretty amazing, as I'm half a world away from the Philippines. Yet I could see the effect with my own eyes.

Let me find and share a picture from those days at my beach. I remember I took some snaps, but can't seem to find them right now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_eruption_of_Mount_Pinatubo

Pacnorwest likes this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

1716965874404.jpeg

It was like hue of the entire sky had been altered somehow. Clouds now seemed bluish with a hint of green in them, like a shade of turquoise that I had never seen before or ever after since, (instead of thr usual white to gray). While the sky was still blazing (because of the dust in the upper atmosphere) - Even after the sun had set.

Photo digitally restored by software.

It stayed like this for weeks. And each sunset had something amazing to show.

Logan, Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Yes the sky ash after both volcanos explosions affected everything for months . Also left an ash ring around the world for months and unusually beautiful sunsets. Flight patterns were changed.

It covered plants and smothered them for miles. Rerouted rivers and formed temporary lakes. The recovery of plants wildlife in the area is quite a story. Ecologists thought they would have to wait years, or even decades, for life to return to the Mt. St. Helens , but just a few weeks after the eruptions, scientists found small plants bursting through the ash and animals skittering over the ground. Rather than being a dead zone, the mountain was very much alive.

link from NASA showing recovery. https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/world-of-change/StHelens

Jewell and S-H like this.
  8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Yes, memories. We watched for weeks as the ash raised from the sky south of us. My parents lived in the Yakima valley to the east of Mt. St. Helen’s and were layered in ash. Car engines would be destroyed if driving in the worst days. Day turned into night. For years the area in eastern Washington was covered in white ash and memories of the eruption were left in the white ash along roadways. https://yakimatalk.com/2023/06/12/the-impact-of-the-eruption-of-mount-saint-helens-on-yakima/

Now Mt. Rainier is the long over due volcano to do something. It is said to be “Rotten” and will once again have a massive mudslide into the Puget Sound if its multiple history record is repeated. Fortunately geology has its own timetable.

Pacnorwest and S-H like this.
  9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Similar stuff must have happened because of that volcano of Iceland in recent years. Flights too for diverted because of it as well. However I didn't notice any change in my sky. Probably because of the Earth's rotation, it didn't reach me in enough quantity to make a difference.

Anyway what's the latest on the Yellowstone super volcano? Just curious if anyone is keeping an eye on the latest developments there.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewell great article and brings back so many memories. I lived in Colorado at the time of the blast and the skies were cloudy for weeks there just from the blast. It was a sad story for those who didn’t make and a lot of those who did went thru a war like surrounding every day for months. There was still ash under our roof tiles when it was redone in the 90’s after moving here to Oregon. The mountain has recovered as many like your patents managed to get thru an incredible disaster and lived to tell about it.

11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oh yes the Yellowstone Volcano . The origional blast was a super volcano. I have visited the Yellowstone National park with all its daily show of a blast of water blowing up every day at the same time hundreds of feet in the air , it’s a geyser called Old Faithful.

A couple pics from Yellowstone National Park visit. Small geyser acid covered .
    P7160032.jpeg

Huge acid lake P7160048.jpeg

12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    @S-H There was someone on the Stew a few years back that lived in eastern Idaho close to an active area of Yellowstone. At the time they were have a constant shaking of mini earthquakes (1.0-2.2). I looked on my app for checking such information and it isn’t as active as the Puget Sound region at the current time. When the movement is close to the surface it is more noticeable. That is one huge cauldron. Interesting how the earths plates move. Earthquakes and volcanic activity seem tame compared to tornadoes and hurricanes, but maybe that’s because we live in wooden structures. Brick and stone? Different results. The last major quake made me very aware of how many bridges were on my commute.:confused:

S-H and Pacnorwest like this.