Medicinal herbs?

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by AAnightowl, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Basil has many benefits due to all the antioxidants including beta carotene. My gran used to eat it to combat high blood pressure. Fresh basil, not dried because it loses its properties. Basil can help protect against cardiovascular issues and cancer.

2. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Good one Odif, never knew that...definitely one for me to take..

Willowisp0801 likes this.
  3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

There are many plants in the mint family. I forget the numbers, but it is a LOT. Some examples: basil, lavender, rosemary... I would never have guessed the last two.

Another plant in the mint family is purple dead nettle. It is not a "nettle", but that is its official Latin name.

Purple Dead Nettle: 12 Reasons To Pick This Early Spring Edible (ruralsprout.com) Here is some interesting facts about this abundant spring plant. I shared it with a friend, and he like most people has always considered it a weed. But he is hooked on it now. My brother asked me what it was once, and I looked it up. It has a lot of beneficial properties. You can eat it in salads, or tea, or medicinal uses. I have it all over the place here. I did take a tiny taste because I am a picky eater and it has a strong odor, more like musk than peppermint. It is okay, and I guess I could eat some if need be.

Some herbs you must be careful not to mix them up with similar looking plants. For instance, do not confuse Queen Anne's Lace with Poison Hemlock for obvious reasons. If you are not sure, leave it alone. Both plants are growing now, but neither blooms until summer.

Willowisp0801 and Odif like this.
  4. SethReyes

SethReyes New Seed

I really appreciated your insights on medicinal herbs! It's incredible how diverse nature is, especially within the mint family. Basil, lavender, and rosemary are household names, but I had no idea about purple dead nettle's medicinal properties. It's amazing how something often considered a weed can offer so many benefits. I'll definitely be more open-minded about what grows in my garden!
    By the way, have you ever come across one piece bongs? They're a sleek and convenient option for enjoying your favorite herbs. Their collection is diverse, catering to different preferences and styles. If you're looking to enhance your smoking experience, it's definitely worth checking out!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024

Advertisement
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Some herbs that grow wild here are. Milk thistle, rosemary, golden seal, st John’s wort. Thyme, oregano, colt’s foot, valériane, yarrow and others too.

Willowisp0801 and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Some medicinal herbs that grow wild in the PNW.
    cedar, comfrey, lemon balm, nettle, dandelion , Oregon grape root. Elderberry and St. John’s wort. violet, yarrow, burdock, rose, goldenrod.
    Mahonia aquifolium - Oregon Grape is the state national flower.

Willowisp0801 likes this.
  7. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Hey Nightowl, I just read your link on purple dead nettle. It was very interesting. Then I got to the picture of henbit looks an awful lot like creeping charlie, which is also a mint. But as with all mints, if you get it in your yard; good luck getting rid of it. Creeping Charlie has taken over in my back yard! It even choked out the clover I planted. I was hoping it would choke out creeping charlie, boy was I wrong!

Pacnorwest likes this.