Meet The Cat We Don't Have

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Droopy, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Droopers - a warning about collars on cats. These can trap a cat and cause a lot of suffering. I took in one old girl cat who strayed around here (they all seemed to) and she was really suffering. Not only had the collar at some time been caught up to cause awful damage to her neck, she had grown a bit and the remains of it were embedded in her skin. It took a long time to put all the damage as right as I could. Happily, she did recover and finished her life here in comfort.
    I haven't used collars on any cats or dogs ever since this. Harnesses are preferable, and then only when necessary, not full time.

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

All collars sold at pet shops and vets here are elastic and break off easily, so I have no hesitation about cats wearing collars, preferably with the owners' name and phone number on them.

Pacnorwest, Tetters and Logan like this.
  3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I always have collars on my dogs, even though they're microchipped always have a tag on with Our name and phone number.

4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

My border collie runs around the property like she’s on fire …she’s so fast she has worn a bare trail around the pastures . She lives to go out to run and races around. She wears a collar. The collar has her rabies ID and hm # And she has a chip. We don’t walk her she runs free with the ATV thru out the pastures. We have a GoPro camera on her when she’s out running or just poking around. Funny videos.
    She is trained on the push buttons for pets..we record what we want to say to her on the recorder in the buttons and when she pushes the buttons she hears my voice . One recording button says “run run run”, another says “love you” another “I want a cookie” and so on. She knows what she wants and seems to be wearing out the cookie button..first. Each recording is on a separate color button 3” diameter.
    Just wanted to share her tricks with everyone. She is a gift.

pic below is her Herding Stance. 12661594-BE6D-45CE-B096-92F00A451056.jpeg

Sjoerd, Droopy and Logan like this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@Pacnorwest she's lovely, border collies were bred for the running to herd up the sheep, it's good how you trained her, or she's trained you.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

That cat isn’t stupid..he knows he’s won the lottery with you guys!

you’re good people for taking him in and caring for him!

Pacnorwest and Droopy like this.
  7. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

It's lovely Droopers to meet the cat you DO have :rolleyes:

Pacnorwest and Droopy like this.
  8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

She's a beauty, @Pacnorwest, and so lucky to be with you. Seems to me you've covered all her needs. She must be a very happy doggie indeed!

Thanks, @Ronni and @Tetters. The last three cats we had were all strays who just decided we were their people. I'm hesitant to call this one #4, but it seems like it's an open-and-shut case, doesn't it?

Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Thanks everyone… for reading about Roxie the border collie… she a rescue dog and we are so lucky to have found her.
    She Sadie and the cat Mr Manx are both adoptees and both tuxedo - black and white.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Logan and Droopy like this.
  10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks, @Ronni and @Tetters. The last three cats we had were all strays who just decided we were their people. I'm hesitant to call this one #4, but it seems like it's an open-and-shut case, doesn't it?[/QUOTE]

I’d say you’ve been adopted, for sure! ;)

Pacnorwest, Logan and Droopy like this.
  11. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

All cat collars in the states are break-aways.

Pacnorwest, Logan and Droopy like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Pacnorwest likes this.
  13. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Almost all of the rescue dogs I cared for were Yorkshire Terriers. This breed is one that easily suffers tracheal collapse. In a couple of cruelty cases, these dear little souls had suffered terribly, one had been dragged with a very tight collar, and the other had been tethered with a tight rope around his neck. Several other small dogs are susceptible to the same kind of damage, and I found it best to always use harnesses as a rule of thumb.
    It can be heart breaking to see what pain is too often inflicted on these tiny creatures.

Droopy and Pacnorwest like this.