Mi casa es su casa

Discussion in 'Bird' started by marlingardener, Jun 12, 2022.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have barn swallows nesting in a corner of the house. We are leaving it because it isn't over a doorway or in the carport. Sometimes I get the feeling we are being taken over by wildlife . . . .
    mi casa, su casa.jpg
    When they move on during migration, I'll have to clean up that corner. Migration can't come soon enough!

Dirtmechanic, Zigs, waretrop and 6 others like this.
  2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Awww! They must feel safe near you, then. Good thing they picked an out-of-the-way nook for their nests. I think I'd be honoured if they chose to nest somewhere on my house. I do understand the messy part, though.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Jane, can’t you or your man mount a camera on the wall there aimed at the nest? You can set them up with monitoring possibilities or even stream the nest live online via your internet connection. You could use your farm website to let folks watch the birds online. I would watch.
    How cool would that be. You could just break it down when the young have fledged, or move the camera to focus on another place like, bird feeders or the hummers’ sweet juice fixing post.

Cayuga Morning, Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, we could, but we won't. Even birds deserve their privacy, and we won't invade theirs. Besides, all we have is a regular camera, and a trail camera. Neither would do much to see what is going on in the nest. I'm sure that if eggs are laid and hatched, we'll hear the peeps early in the morning. Oh, joy!

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gotcha Jane.
    Well, fingers crossed for that family of travellers and their adobe accommodation.

Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Looking at the title of your thread, I am now wondering if you were the one saying that line…or the swallows. Chuckle.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

They seem to be everywhere this year ! Not sure if barn swallows or mud martins but they have built in the rafters of the shop ! I have mud martins on my porch every year!

eileen, marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Our resident barn swallows have eggs in the nest. Oh goody, more barn swallows will be zipping around soon! I fear mi casa will soon be su apartment building.
    Husband saw Mrs. on the nest, and will try to get a photo later. Hope he doesn't get pecked!

Sjoerd, Droopy, eileen and 1 other person like this.
  9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How I wish we had swallows nesting here. I'll look forward to any photographs your hubby can get. We did have a blackbird build its nest in our garden but it appears to have been abandoned. The magpies are the culprits as they constantly harass the poor blackies and if they manage to lay eggs they swoop in and steal them.

Droopy likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen, I'll happily ship you some swallows. You pay postage and here they come!
    I forgot to mention on my most recent post that he has the long-range lens setting, so the swallows won't be upset by being photographed. Their privacy will be maintained, at least in their opinion.

Droopy likes this.
  11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I just knew that the swallows would remain undisturbed Jane. My eldest lad does the same with a long-range lens when taking photographs of wildlife.

Droopy and marlingardener like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Husband set up the trail camera at a distance, and got several photos of Mrs. Swallow on the nest. I'd like to knit some booties for the babies, but I don't know how to get them on the hatchlings!
    mrs. swallow.jpg

Pacnorwest, Frank, Droopy and 2 others like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great pic, Jane.
    There is something regal about that bird.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely photo! I have a soft spot for swallows. They're the last migrating birds to arrive and the first ones to leave. The saying "One swallow doesn't make summer" is very true. I'm always saddened when they leave. I love to watch them zip about after their insects and I try to predict the weather from their flight pattern.

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  15. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Lucky you! I have a bat in my belfry-BBQ gazebo. It has peed on me twice while grilling and I cannot wait for hibernation time either! Also, birds are much more pleasant to view !

Brownie the Bat

PXL_20220709_205227099.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    Pacnorwest, marlingardener and Odif like this.