Mimosa-like plant found in Barstow, CA

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by spector, Jul 31, 2020.

1. spector

spector Seedling

Has flowers almost exactly like mimosa blooms, but deep ruby red. The plant grows as a large shrub (over six feet high), rather than as a small tree, and the leaves, while similar to mimosa, are a bit darker and smaller. I found it being used as a landscape plant next to a hotel out there, and it had seed pods (again similar but not identical) to a mimosa, so I grabbed one off the ground. Two of the seeds sprouted. I am trying to identify it, because I want to give some to friends, but I don't want to inadvertently give them a pest plant!

Barstowmystery1.jpeg Barstowmystery2.jpeg Barstowmystery3.jpg

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Zigs
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Bosque
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think it's a Callistemon 'Inferno' or Bottlebrush plant.

4. spector

spector Seedling

No, we have bottlebrush out here. It is very popular because it is so drought-tolerant. The leaves and flower are the wrong size and shape for that.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

mimosa can be varied in shape and color ! looks like the typical mimosa used as popular landscape plants in the late 50`s and 60`s ! i love them ! the leaves will likely get larger as the plant grows ! have no idea what people have against the mimosa ! nice small tree if short lived,, just a little messy ! but thats a personal opinion !

Advertisement
  6. spector

spector Seedling

If it is mimosa, it grows in a form that no other mimosa I have seen grows in. The adult bushes were being used as landscaping, up against a building. It was brushy and shrubby, more of a tall hedge. Every mimosa I have ever had or raised has been a small tree.

I will keep an eye on it and see if it shapes up then. :) They are not liked here because they are so invasive, but I agree with you. I grew up with three of them in our front lawn, and I am currently nursing one along as a bonsai. I planted its parent about ten years ago, and we had to take that tree out, unfortunately, when I had a new deck built. Loved that tree and it gave wonderful shade, but it was too close to the house and there was no way to keep it without building a weird deck with a hole in it. To thank it for its dedication, I planted and grew several babies and gave most of them away, but kept one little one to experiment.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am not familiar with mimosas (except the kind you drink at brunch), but I appreciate your curiosity about this plant. And your investigating it by sowing the seeds, watching it grow, etc.

spector likes this.
  8. spector

spector Seedling

Part of my embarrassment about not being able to identify this thing is because I am a Master Gardener for my county. Granted, this plant was several counties south of me, but still, you would think I could figure it out! I am dangerous around any vegetation that can be propagated. I can't help myself. I have so many goofy plants growing around here just because I wanted to see if I could do it, I have lost track. Happily, we have plant sales every spring (except this last one), so I can donate a lot of them there!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. mart

mart Strong Ash

in the 50`s and sixties they were about the only plant used in new home sales ! grew fast and had nice pretty blooms ! but now they are only found on fence rows ! locusts, cicadas love them and its lovely to sit outside in the evening and listen to them !

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

in looking at your second pic,, i do not think this is mimosa ! llet me look around tomorrow ! that bloom is not right for mimosa!

spector likes this.
  11. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Mimosas are also known by the name of acacia even though they are thornless. Could be also called wattle. The flowers look like what we call silk tree.

spector likes this.