Mince Pie (no meat).

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Daniel W, Dec 19, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Here is my family's traditional mince pie filling recipe. It can be made a few days ahead and refrigerated. When ready to make the pie itself, just bake in a double crust, same as any other fruit pie. I had to get out the recipe so I can put the ingredients on the shopping list for this week.

1 unpeeled orange.
    1 unpeeled lemon.
    1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider.
    2 large apples, cored, peeled, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces.
    3/4 cup dark raisins, coarsely chopped.
    1/2 cup golden raisins, coarsely chopped.

1/2 cup brown sugar.
    1/4 tsp salt.
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon.
    1/4 tsp ground cloves.
    1/8 tsp fresh ground nutmeg.
    1 tsp vanilla.

Roughly chop the orange and lemon, including the rinds, but remove and discard the seeds. Place into food processor along with the apple juice, and process until well chopped. Transfer to large saucepan, along with everything else except vanilla. Cover, bring to low boil and simmer 25 min with occasional stirring. Then raise heat to medium and cook 15 more minutes, with occasional stirring. Remove from heat, let the mixture cool, and stir in the vanilla.

When ready to bake the pie, preheat oven to 375 F. Make a crust for a 9-inch, 2 crust pie. When rolling out the top crust, sprinkle on sesame seeds and lightly roll them onto the crust so they don't fall off (optional). Pour the filling into the bottom crust. Before adding top crust, add 1 tbsp butter, cut into chunks, to the filling.

Add and crimp top crust.

Bake 45 min. (This should be whatever temperature and time works for any fruit pie - until crust is lightly golden brown and filling is bubbling).

Can be served warm or fully cooled off.

Here is a link to someone else's mince pie filling. It adds chopped apricots, allspice and brandy. I came from a nondrinking family and I don't either, but I might buy some brandy and try adding it to the the recipe this time.

https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/mincemeat/

Also, this recipe looks good.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/260314/mincemeat/

Logan, Tetters and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. toni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Daniel, where do you find the time and patience? Do you actually have time to sleep at night?
    I'm afraid I just buy a good jar of mincemeat filling from the supermarket, and wop it in a puff pastry case :sleeping:

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Maybe it's all the coffee I drink LOL.
    Somehow I don't read much anymore. I wish I did. I don't care much for TV either. That leaves a lot of time for other things. Plus I enjoy cooking as much as I do gardening.

It's fun seeing what happens in the kitchen. There are successes and failures. Sometimes there are "wow" moments, too, just like in the garden.

5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

I’m not a tv person either. But I read way to much this time of year. Never miss all the pics in the piles of catalogs that come in the mail to study all winter. Always dreaming of redoing some of the glower beds. Lots of new dahlias this year … gotta have a few is good but it’s never just a few it usually more is better.

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.

Advertisement
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you for sharing this recipe Daniel. I have to always dodge dried fruits or processed fillings because of a sensitivity to sulphites. I haven't had mince since I was child. I can make this recipe safely if I use organic raisins. I don't know if I will be going to town for a couple more weeks, but maybe I can make New Years mince for Hubby and I. ( he will get the regular pastry of course...that's one thing I haven't mastered GF...it's a bit Meh).

7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Luv homemade mince meat pie. My aunt always made it for the holidays. Miss her. The younger generation has never heard of it . I have her recipe . She just followed the recipe on the mince meat container. So yummy!

Melody Mc. likes this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Here's most of the fruit for the mince pie. I substituted 1/3 cup of chopped dried (unsulfured) apricots for 1/3 cup of the black raisins.
    C49254C8-AD82-4DC8-8FF1-AAF802723F25.jpeg

Here it is cooking. I thought I probably should have diced the apple chunks, but they cooked down anyway.

3D845017-F9F3-4AEE-846E-58526B95A193.jpeg

This filling is so fragrant. What it doesn't have is fat, but butter will be added before baking the pie.

I put the filling in the fridge overnight. I can make the pie tomorrow.

Sjoerd, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Daniel.. like your substitutions great idea… the Mad Scientist at it again..:smt081 yummmm!

Logan likes this.