Mistletoe seeds or berries

Discussion in 'Plant and Seed Exchange' started by waretrop, Dec 7, 2011.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I would love to get a hold of some Mistletoe berries.

I have nothing to trade but would be willing to pay for some and of course pay for shipping all in advance.

Barb in Pa.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Barb, you really don't want mistletoe. It is a parasite on certain trees, and if the colony of mistletoe is large enough, it can seriously impair or even kill a tree.
    Mistletoe grows here in Texas on several varieties of trees, and is considered something to be eradicated if possible.

4. waretrop

I realize that but I want to grow it on one of my trees in the greenhouse. Something that is common and that I really don't care about.

I still want some seeds. Anyone, PLEASE?????

Barb in Pa.

5. okietriker

okietriker Seedling

Are you still wanting some Mistletoe? It's all around this area.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

No. I got some and saved the berries. I will be trying to sprout them very soon. I have some little trees in my greenhouse that I will wedge them into later. don't know what I am doing but it should be fun.

Thanks anyway. Barb in Pa.

7. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

mistletoe seeds

I always heard mistletoe seeds needed to be processed thru a bird's gizzard to sprout. Thick seed coat or something. I would at least put them on a live branch with a dob of fresh chicken manure if available. Gum trees seem to be a favorite of mistletoe here in middle TN. Good luck :)

8. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

The oak trees here are a favorite of mistletoe and I think rockhound is right about them having to be processed in a bird. That's how it spreads, a bird eats the berries then when the droppings hit a branch of a tree it germinates. You might be able to simulate a bird's stomach with some strong vinegar. Leave it in there for a day or so then try to germinate it that way. I would love to know if that would work because I too love mistletoe. I tried to grow it from a cutting, but that didn't work for me.

9. waretrop

mistletoe seeds

Hi everyone. Kim sent me some Mistletoe. Thank you Kim. I tried growing some seeds right off the twig in many different ways and they didn't work. I also dried most of them and stored them in my pantry.

After storing them for a while, I was going to try all the ways suggested but first the easiest. Small plate paper towel dried, stored in pantry seeds, then another layer of paper towel. I set a light over it and a small glass of water next to it. As anyone passed it and saw it was drying out we added a little bit of water. After 2 days you could see the seeds rehydrating. After about 6 days you could see a hair like thing coming out of one end and at the same time you could see a green spot on the other end starting. Like algae.

I tried to take pictures but they wouldn't turn out. I don't know what I am going to do with them after they are fully sprouted.

So I have learned that you have to let the berries dry out or they mold. I guess I didn't need "chicken dooly". :D

I know some of you don't recommend doing this but I just can't help it. :rolleyes: It's a fun thing.

Again, thanks Kim

Barb in Pa.

stratsmom and calinromania like this.
  10. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Oh wow, good job on getting them to sprout. I am going to have to try this.

11. waretrop

mistletoe seeds

Actually I have been turning the plate a quarter of a turn 4 times a day. I am sure the green stuff will be leaves. It's just that the berries or seeds are so translucent you can see everything inside there. :-D

I know this is not recommended by allot of you guys but I will keep it under control. It's just like when I grew tons of Liverwort. :D :D :D It didn't take over my greenhouse.

Barb in Pa.

12. mart

mart Strong Ash

Not sure but isn`t mistletoe a fungus ? It only affects trees if they are in stress. After the drought last year there was some on our oak and pear trees so I knocked it off and applied betadine spray to the tree limbs to kill the fungus. It hasn`t come back. Seeds come off here but never have I seen it come up in 62 years.

13. waretrop

Well, My seeds are surely not fungus. I have carefully changed the paper towel so bacteria wouldn't grow in it. I don't know what I am going to do with them if they get some real leaves and things. Guess I will figure that out then.

Barb in Pa.

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't think it's a fungus, I think it is a parasite. It grows on a host plant "sucking" it nutrients from the hosts sap.

Barb, my plant book briefly mentions it and starting it. It says "select a host that is at least 20 years old. collect white ripe berries that is already growing on another tree of the same variety as your host. find a branch on the host that is 5 feet off the ground and about 6 inches in diameter; smash the berries against the underside of the branch. The sticky pulp will harden and help the seeds adhere to the bark. After the seeds have germinated, they will sprout and invade the host."
    This is verbatim of the book and no other info for it. Hope this helps some, but I have no experience with it myself, I don't even think I have seen it before.

15. okietriker

okietriker Seedling

Believe it or not, Mistletoe is Oklahoma's State Flower! It's even in the Oklahoma State Emblem. It is a parasite. Just a little ways from my home there is a bunch of it growing! I used to sell it just before Christmas as everyone wanted to hang some in doorways.

16. raygrogan

raygrogan New Seed

Hi Okietriker - I would like some mistletoe seeds to try to start in Mountain View, AR. Please PM or something for addresses, etc. I can send you some seeds of very tasty pawpaws. Thanks Ray