Mixing light maple cabinets with medium oak trim?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by iceman3737, Jun 20, 2007.

1. iceman3737

iceman3737 New Seed

Hi all, we are doing a kitchen remodel with custom cabinets. We have medium oak all over the place in the house as our moldings, doors, fireplace, etc. With the new kitchen cabinets we wanted to go lighter. So our cabinet designer came up with using a lighter cabinet with medium oak crown molding.

He did a sample cabinet in light oak (to match existing wood textures throughout the house) but it came out a bit darker than the maple version of the same glaze does.

So my question is, is it ok to mix a light maple kitchen cabinet with medium oak crown moldings, with the fact that medium oak is all through the rest of the house.

We just want to make sure the wood grains won't clash too much since this is a major investment. Has anyone done this? Thanks for any advice!

2. Loading...

3. teddyedwards

teddyedwards New Seed

Colourwise I think it would be fine. I wouldn't be too bothered about matching grains either, since the mouldings won't be that large to make it a problem. If you are a perfectionist though, you could try light oak cabinets with medium oak mouldings, to be sure of the grains matching.