Moss spores-?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Atwood Terrace, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Atwood Terrace

Atwood Terrace Seedling

I seen somewhere how to grow moss on flower pots, (and other stuff) to give that OLD look. They mentioned going to a nursery and getting, "moss spores" and useing a brush to paint a mixture, (spores in buttermilk)?, on the pots. -This works on concrete too.
    Has anybody ever heard of this, or,...?, -Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. S-H
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. petals
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't know about moss spores but if you buy a pot of moss, throw it in the blender with buttermilk you can then use a paint brush to cover whatever you want it to grow on. ;)

4. Atwood Terrace

Atwood Terrace Seedling

oh, ok, I didn't know you could buy pots of moss, (I'll have to write this down)., Thanks toni.

hey toni, there was this chick sitting at a bar when this mushroom walks in., The mushroom says, "hey baby let's go out and party", The girl says, "no way, I ain't going out with you"!, The mushroom says, "Why not, I'm a Fungi". lol, get it??,...hey,..

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Moss usually shows up in garden centers in early Spring under the name of Stepables...plants that will tolerate being walked on. Moss doesn't last very long down here but in Ohio you might be able to find it easier. Or you can order it from some mail order plant suppliers.

The potted moss won't stick to pots, walls, etc. That's why you need to blend it up with buttermilk.

An oldie but a goodie ;)

Advertisement
  6. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

Be careful with the moss. We sat a potted plant with some moss on the pot on a carpeted porch. The conditions must have been ideal for moss. It spread over 1/4 to 1/2 of the carpet and we sprayed several times and killed it but it came right back. We removed the carpet and vigorously washed the porch. We replaced the carpet and the moss came right back. No more carpet on the porch.

7. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

You can have some of our moss, it grows everywhere.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Kildale's Garden )

Jerry Sullivan and Philip Nulty like this.
  8. Atwood Terrace

Atwood Terrace Seedling

well, I thought I'd experiment with some pots to give them an, "old world" look. Saw some, "Bonzi" moss on Ebay, but wasen't too sure about that, Thanks everybody-!

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have done allot with moss. I love it. I took a "gob" that I found in the woods somewhere and put it out by my waterfalls in the pond. It has been spreading and growing more and more. Looks good now.

I also bought a milk carton full of ground up moss and you add buttermilk and paint it on anything and it grows great.

Yes you also can take most mosses around your house and blend it add buttermilk and paint it on things and it will grow.

Try it, it's fun......

10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

For years I have been taking large clumps of moss and placing them on rocks around our ponds. I would have to completely wet the moss and place and shape it around the contour of the rock. The only problem I came across was crows and grackles would lift the moss hunting for bugs. Keep it well watered. Moss loves water.

I might have lots of pictures somewhere, usually with frogs……rummage…….. rummage…. found one:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

The moss has been there for at least 10 years. It just keeps growing and growing and growing. :)

Jerry

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Don't buy it if you can find some walking around your yard or neighborhood. When the conditions are right you can't keep it away, but it does take time to get established unless you live in a rainy climate like here

12. waretrop

We changed the living room at my house into a beautiful dining room. It has a large window and a front door. Have to live with that even though I don't like it but now we have these unused cement front steps with no railings. I want no one coming a knocking on the front door.

I was bored with them so I thought I make a statement and have been growing moss on them. It is coming along nicely.

[​IMG]
    front steps

[​IMG]
    moss on front steps

I actually sweep it to get all the pine needles and partial nuts and other unwanted things off it. I have hosed it a few times but I don't like to do that.

13. Atwood Terrace

Atwood Terrace Seedling

what in the world is a, "grackle"?, Is that some kind of animal, or,....??

14. waretrop

It's a bird. It's a shiny black and a trouble maker. :D

It's funny, I was thinking about that the other day, we don't have then in this location much unlike all the other places I have lived. We do have a clan of black birds here and it's growing by the year....

15. Atwood Terrace

Atwood Terrace Seedling

that'd be a good name for a monster in a horror movie.

16. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Good luck with getting your moss growing. We've got moss aplenty in places we don't want it, wish you lived closer to me. I'd even pay you if you managed to remove all the moss from the walkway on the north side of the house.