Moving Hostas to the Front Yard

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Have been moving hostas because building an ADU (auxiliary dwelling unit) in our back yard appears to be a future probability. Many of the hostas have reach mature size and are crowding other plants or need better placement to show off their uniqueness also. The red Japanese maple has a mature spread to provide shade in the front yard. With the two fir trees gone in the back I am opening up to new potentials of developing/expanding the variety of plants in the north part of the front garden. Bind weed needs to be perpetually monitored in this section of garden so I have been hesitant to make this leap, but am glad I did. Many of the moved hostas will have much better viewing and showing off placement even though I will be the only one to enjoy them. FB612CF4-AB93-47A7-8265-1D5065A51F56.jpeg

I moved 4 varieties of hosta seen in the above photo. This area once had a 4-way cherry tree that though touted as being semi dwarf got too big and into the power line. This is where my first hellebores were planted and have self sown throughout the bed. Heather/heaths flower most of the winter (if I don’t over clip) and Oregon grape, lambs ears and fern leaf bleeding hearts act as ground cover.

3396E634-FF18-4EEF-9532-E8A8CFD97D07.jpeg

In the foreground of the above picture you can see where I pulled pavers for 3 more varieties of hosta. Hopefully they will enjoy this area. The Francis Williams did not seem to be liking his previous home too much. The Red October and Fragrant Blue will be perfect along the walkway since they are mid-sized.

The south side of the front yard got some new edible shrubs this summer. Two varieties of elderberry and two varieties of goumi bushes staked with bamboo. Lots of black eyed Susan’s and a few cone flowers, Shasta daisies and elephant garlic are blooming as well as some white and lavender varieties of heather also inhabit this section and are currently blooming. I hope to keep this area sunny enough that my collection of mini iris will continue to do well.

096FBFF5-7E1B-425B-A944-D6A455CA9CEC.jpeg

C3E6BA3D-8FB5-4F16-944B-D097DB4E0866.jpeg

Now enough doddering and off to weed the back patio. Someday I will have to share my escapades with the dragon torch used to weed. I will save that for another time...or not.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I especially liked these foto's. It was a great idea to combine the Liatris and the Rudbekia.
    The last foto was just simply gorgeous. So calming to look at. Well done, you.

Jewell likes this.
  4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Everything is beautiful...you should feel good about a job well done..

Jewell likes this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Those hostas look great. Very pretty. I love a mix of foliage types.
    Would love to hear about your escapades with the Dragon Torch!! When you have time.

Jewell likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Thanks Sjoerd, the front garden does get lots of compliments from the walkers in the neighborhood.

Sherry, I hesitated planting the hostas where I fight bind weed, but with the help weeding I am getting in the backyard it gives me more time to persue the vine.

Mary, I am a bit surprised at how good some of the moved hostas look in their new home. I’ve always loved the ones with blue cast leaves, but the one with the sunny color really pops here. I think I will give a start of Sum and Substance a big space in this small part of the yard because of its color. Especially with the red Japanese maple.

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Marilami

Marilami New Seed

Beautiful plants you got there, unfortunate you had to move some of them but I also came across such a problem in my back and front yard. Plants got too big and they blocked the only path to the house... I considered cutting them down but they are beautiful just like yours are so instead I had movers
    Singapore reallocate the plants to somewhere nice along the path that looks good from the outside and while walking between them! I take care of my green friends daily and I don't even want to think what I'd do if I lost most of them. That is why I constantly read agricultural books so I at least have the slight idea of what am I doing. Can't afford to lose them now after all the hard work! By the way, do you use chemicals in your gardens? I don't. It ruins the smell and the sole reason I started gardening was because I always had bad air enter my house. Now I don't want to brag about my plants but they produce the best oxygen I have...uh...consumed :D?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

goumi bushes ! What are these ? Never heard of them ! Your yard is always lovely !

9. Marilami

Marilami New Seed

Btw, I forgot to ask where did you get the plants?

10. bostavan

bostavan New Seed

I've transplanted a few flowers into the garden when a special place was available, but there was no way to hook up watering. The system didn't allow for hoses, you had to do drainage, and watering by hand was difficult. Can't do it anymore. My son made exterior shutters or siding project (some company services), found the guys and they did everything. I even installed an awning and a pergola to sit under the foliage in the summer heat. So great, too bad my son doesn't want to do the flowerbeds. It's awful, who to leave them for later. Says I've gotten closer to the earth as I've gotten older. How so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2022