Moving into a New Season

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Finally I got outside and began my fall/winter/spring clean-up. Although we had a week of winter weather I am beginning to admit that we have only two seasons most years; spring and fall. I never got my fall clean-up finished and just as well. I can see were the lilies and phlox are from their stems. Better to keep from stabbing them with a trowel and finding them to move/divide.

For the first time ever I cut back the foliage on ferns and hellebores in the front yard.

[​IMG]
    pile of clean-up and bed...which is which? ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

Am hoping to get a handle on the bindweed in that bed. Also am cutting back the heathers that have gotten huge and are in need of trimming. The bees love them so I hate to trim the plants until all signs of insect life are sleeping. Then the little birds come and seem to feed on and around them also.

I was out moving and potting plants like the clematis, and phlox. I couldn't believe they are already growing and active.

[​IMG]
    clematis need to be tied up ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    phlox are sprouting ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

Pulled moss off the mini iris, noted that one double flowered hellebore was blooming, and it won't be long before the driveway daffs are blooming.

[​IMG]
    mini iris ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    first of the helebores blooming ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    can it already be daffodil time??? ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

When I am locked away all day in a room with no windows I guess the seasons travel past without me acknowledging them.

Now before the weather really warms up I have to find a pet store to take a few goldfish. Sweetie says we don't need to add a pump and filtration system to the pond and I tend to agree. Thirty years without one...seems silly to add one now. Guess we could just lower the electric fence for a while and let nature takes its course....maybe not. Definiitely not!

[​IMG]
    too many fish ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wow Jewell... looks like everything is waking up there. And not just waking up... but looking healthy and happy! Yep... spring is here! :stew2:

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Lots of work to do Jewell,..but nice to see all those young shoots appearing,..oh and the Helebores,..you are very lucky with your fish population,..i agree you certainly don't need a pump or filtration,..leave well enough alone,..i am sure you will find someone to take fish off your hands,..i mean a good pond,..or as you said a pet shop,..you could do a barter for something,..like pond plants as the shop probably wouldn't offer much cash for them,..considering the small price they pay wholesale,..and then add on the vat and profit margin which is over 100 per cent.

5. Jewell

Cherylad, it feels so good to have things looking tidy :-D especially since growing things are always changing. :D

Philip, I'll be happy to find someplace to take them. I also have water lilies that have to be pulled. Guess I should get on the phone and see if my favorite nursery would take any. Haven't had the problem of too many fish before. Raccoons and possums have respected the little electric fence. Before the pond was a dinner station. Water lilies I can always set on the sidewalk and they disappear with a "free sign" doing the advertising.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Your garden is officially awake!! Congratulations!!

Jerry

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Nice to see spring arriving somewhere!
    Have you considered putting up a free online ad to sell the extra fish? Not sure what kind of sites your area has...we have Kijiji here and it is a great site for selling things online. I plan on putting plants on it this spring.
    :)

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I love spring and seeing things sprouting....as for the fish...we have eagles and I am sure they would be a problem....they have been flying around our area and you can really spot the white heads as they glide around...they are beautiful.

9. Jewell

Netty, great advice for the online. There are a couple here I will check out.

Sherry, last year it was a heron. The eagles don't like our neighborhood and just as well. :D

Jerry awake and working to be done :-D