My 3rd Container Water Garden

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by cherylad, Apr 28, 2010.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hope you find it! Be sure to share the photos when you do because that sounds very neat.

2. daysmommy

daysmommy New Seed

I am going to the farming store today to get fencing for my garden. I will be searching in there for the flower pot that I want. I sure hope I find it as well. If or when I do I will be sure to post many pictures. I love taking pictures of my garden areas seeing that this is my first to do alone I am so proud ofmy work!!!

3. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

Love it! Don't forget mosquito dunks. I have to put them in some waterlillies that live in black plastic tubs. Or mabe some minnows from a ditch.

4. Lil Bug

Lil Bug New Seed

I think the other surface plant you have is anacharis
    or hornwort.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I find these displays so fascinating to look at, Cheryl.
    You have some nice plants and interesting containers.
    Well done, you!

6. cherylad

Yes... I do believe the surface plant is Anacharis. I think they called it "parrot"-something-or-other. Will have to check with the nursery to find out for sure. Sadly to report that the Water Canna that I got from Lowes (just like the other two) never grew. :scheming: They are the one's that come in a little pouch designed to protect them from the fish while they get established. Has anyone had any luck growing those?
    I won't purchase them again! I'll stick with the Water Lily place I found online.

7. Lil Bug

Lil Bug New Seed

Water plants

Cherylad,
    I tried one of the water lilies in that bag and it never came up.I did find out later that they prefer still water and I have a fountain that moves the water quite a bit. I took a canna lily out of my yard. Just dug the little bugger up and put it in a pot on a rocks and then soil and rocks on top.It has shown new growth.I set it about 2 inches beneath the water.I have since found out that it will eventually die from root rot in regular soil.I have been told it likes a clay soil and was told that kitty liter is the perfect thing to plant them in.I got some and will be putting in pond tomorrow.I'll try to post pics.
    Lil Bug Kathleen

8. cherylad

I've got some canna lily started. May have to try to get some to grow in water. Thanks for the tip!

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I got some water plants at Lowes back in the spring and only one put out any growth then died.
    I am going to PetSmart to see if they have any left, I have had really good luck with them in the past. That's where I got the Iris and the Water Lily that I have had for several years and have bloomed for me.

I also need to get the link to your online water plant place too Cheryl, I had it but lost it.

10. cherylad

Hmmm... maybe I'll have to give Petsmart a looksy.
    Toni... the online place where I found the Black Gamecock is www.texaswaterlilies.com
    Very nice folks and very helpful too.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They have a large aquarium section but not a big selection of water plants and they only get them in spring....so they may be out of them already. But at least they do live and grow!

Thanks for the link, I remember wandering thru their website when you first posted it and found some lovelies to drool over. ;)

12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Cheryl...is that garden tool bench pic added to my "Unusual Containers" thread? Those are too cute