My 4 Favourite Garden Design Books

Discussion in 'Books' started by azw1879, Apr 10, 2006.

1. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

I'm not sure I can write a review about these titles, but although they were bought at different times, I consider them very much a set.

The Essential Garden Design Workbook.
    Rosemary Alexander.

Garden Design Bible.
    Tim Newbury.

A Handbook for Garden Designers.
    Rosemary Alexander with Karena Batstone.

The Book of Garden Plans.
    Mitchell Beazley.

Although I have several more books on other gardening subjects, these are the only titles I feel that I need on Garden Design.

C.J.

2. Loading...

3. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I have alot of gardening books also C.J. I love to look through them for ideas. My very favorite is :
    Better Homes and Garden
    New Complete Guide to Gardening

It has photos and how to's on almost ever plant imaginable!!It's very informative.

4. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

Yes. It is good to have a variety of gardening books covering many aspects of gardening. Garden Design is my main interest, but gardening needs more than just this, so I try to 'hit' all areas by getting at least 1 or 2 good books on each subject. Everything from flower identification to container gardening, garden diy, problem solving, etc.

If the titles give you more ideas for your own garden, or widen your knowledge of gardening-related matters, they can assist you greatly.

It's good to learn stuff. :)

C.J.

5. Alyssa

Alyssa New Seed

Ohhh now I get to shop on Amazon again, I love that store and I am trying to educate myself on gardening.

Any suggestions for the newbie gardner?

Advertisement
  6. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

For most of the gardens I do , I try to get the people themselves to design them . My father always used " the back of a cigarette box design " . He would take the client around their estate or housing area and get them to point out to him any ideas or garden features they liked and draw them on the back of a cigarette box :D Voila , a garden design

I continue to do this , 99% of people are capable of designing their own gardens .
    Get a pen and paper , make a list of all the things you want , features etc. Go around your neighbourhood making notes .
    Dont be afraid to experiment , if you learn from your mistakes you will succeed
    Happy gardening 8) Bugs

7. Alyssa

Alyssa New Seed

Thank you for the helpful advice. And that is part of my problem, I am scared. I don't want to design it and then end up hating it lol.

8. azw1879

azw1879 Seedling

After looking through my garden design books again, I must say that for an easy-to-understand guide to perfecting drawing plans for gardens is the title 'A Handbook for Garden Designers' by Rosemary Alexander and Karena Batstone. The rest of the titles I listed may be a little too advanced, although for ideas may be of help.

C.J.