My Bird House and Scrappy

Discussion in 'Pets' started by glendann, Jul 3, 2007.

1. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have a few birdhouses and never had a bird move in so I was so thrilled. I noticed yesterday when I took Oreo out I noticed a bird fly away from the bird house.I took a picture of the grass in the door she was making a nest.

[​IMG]

Last night when I got home from work I took my trusty flashlight and went to check the rain gage
    to see how much it had rained .I poured out a little over an inch as I turned to come back in I looked up to see if I could see the bird in the hole and there on the entrance sat Scrappy the cat.I coudn't push him off and finally pulled him down by the tail.I don't know if he ate the bird or not.:(

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Edlou8181
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I do hope Scrappy didn't take the bird Glenda!! Let's hope he doesn't get up there again. Poor bird, if it wasn't eaten, it must have got a terrible shock. Do let us know if you see it still going in and out of the box.

4. glendann

I will Eileen but Im afraid the bird got so frightened it won't come back.

5. hummingbird3172

hummingbird3172 In Flower

I'll bet the bird got away and the cat was looking in the hole for more. It is really hard when you are a cat lover AND a birdlover isn't it? I've got 7 inside cats and a few outside cats who've adopted me.......from time to time I find a pile of feathers and the guilt is excruciating.

That bird might not come back, but it still might, or another will finish the nest and move in. It's too nice of a house to sit empty.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Cute birdhouse Glenda. I hope the bird comes back. Maybe you could put a little bell on Scrappy's collar so the birds have a bit of a warning.

7. glendann

Thanks Netty and if the cat wouldn't chock to death from the collar I might do that but its a good thing I didn't put my hands around his little neck last night.

8. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

You are right Glenda, outside cats and collars don't mix. Mom tells a story of her cat when she was little, someone gave her a collar and she was so proud. The collar got tangled on a branch and the kitten strangled to death.

Have you tried putting a piece of wire around the pole, maybe Scrappy wouldn't like the feel of it and would stay away. I don't know what kind would be best, maybe chicken wire.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You could also try greasing the poll Glenda if it's any help. Any signs of the bird returning to the box or do you think it's gone for good. :(

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you can cut off the platform at the front and back of the birdhouse and put a perch just under the hole for the bird to sit on. Then the cat won't have anyplace to sit on.

11. glendann

Eileen I haven't seen the bird and I haven't seen scrappy either.
    Toni I will hyave to find someone to do that for me.That would be better that way.

12. hummingbird3172

hummingbird3172 In Flower

Greasing the pole could make for some interesting pictures as Ol' Scrappy tries to climb....definitely an America's Funniest Home Videos Moment!