My birthday present from myself :-)

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by cherylad, Sep 27, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

With mean ol’ winter lurking around the corner, I’ve been thinking of a way to make my life easier when it comes to protecting the plants from freezing temps.
    My few special babies get brought inside, either in the laundry room or computer room. I have a couple of racks where I would round up the other potted plants. And every time the forecast mentioned temps in the 30s, I would have to get out there in the cold and wind (and sometimes in the dark) and wrap a tarp around them. Then take it down and then put it up. AARRGHH!
    I really can’t afford or need a full greenhouse, so I decided to make me a “winterhouse”.
    It will go on the south side of my storage building/garage which is 27’ long. And will be about 6’ deep and 5’ high. There’s a 3’ deep flower bed there already.

[​IMG]
    bed along garage ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Perfect location... block the cold north winds and get all that southern sunshine.
    Put it up before the mention of freezing weather... and take it down when it’s done.
    ONE TIME!

Here’s my design....

[​IMG]
    winterhouse ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I ordered the clear tarp and fittings/corners, etc. yesterday. Will have to buy the pipe/tubing from one of the big box stores here.
    The back pipe/tubing will be permanently fastened to the building. That not only adds stability, but saved me some money by not having to buy “back legs”. And will save some assembly time too in the future.

It should be deep enough to tuck in the rest of my containers. If this works well to protect the tender plants that are already planted there, I might just try a couple more “exotic” things.
    Happy Birthday to me!
    :smt113 :snicker:

eileen, stratsmom, Jewell and 3 others like this.
  2. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Nice gift. Great idea.

3. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

I have a greenhouse here in PA (5B) and in Jan and Feb when the temps outside are in the 20s and the sun comes out it will get to 105 deg right now. Unless you can tend the "winterhouse" anytime of the day, I would use some kind of automatic ventilation.

P.S. Happy birthday.

4. cherylad

JB... it won't be totally enclosed... there will be some gaps for ventilation. And thanks!

Advertisement
  5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very cool.

Mine is all automatic. Fans and Watering systems. Mine gets hot also and my plants love it.

6. cherylad

Nothing that fancy here Barb. The ends will be flaps that I can open/close... and watering will be done from there too.

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Cheryl, That sounds like a great idea! Happy birthday to you! And I know your hubby is very handy and you guys will have this ready in time for the cold weather. Good job ;)

8. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Very nice. Happy Birthday!

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The ideal solution and so much cheaper than a full greenhouse. Do let us see it when it's erected won't you?

10. cherylad

Thanks everyone. I hope it works out like I want/need it to. :fingerscrossed:

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Happy birthday Cheryl! I too would like to see the greenhouse when you're done, and hear about your success with it this winter. What a great idea!

12. cherylad

Thanks Cayuga.
    As I sit here watching it rain... I'm wondering if my design will be able to handle a good rain.
    I did put up gutters to divert the water from the roof(into a rain barrel).
    But since it sticks out beyond the eave, it will still get rained on. It will be at slope (from 5ft to 4 ft).
    The tarp will be attached to the frame (back and sides) with those little bungee cords that they recommend. I guess to help keep the grommets from being ripped out due to wind or rain. The "foot" of it will be held in place with tent stakes.
    I'm just wondering if I'm going to need some extra support across the top to keep the rain from puddling up too much? Or is that slope sufficient to make it run off?
    Anybody have thoughts about this?

13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Cheryl, Here's an idea: my father made us a camping trailer when I was a kid. The top half was canvas, the bottom, wood. Between the wooden supports of the canvas roof he strung very taut polyethylene string. It served the purpose. I was thinking you could do the same if your supports are too far apart & the rain pools. It is a cheap but labor intensive solution.

I just had another thought: do you get much snow where you live? If so, I do think you will need more support between your pipe frame.

14. cherylad

Why would running the string be so labor intensive? Do you mean.. lots of zig-zagged string... or just a couple of single strands?

15. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

How are you planing to hold the sheeting to the frame?