My Bluebirds are back

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by gfreiherr, Jan 3, 2013.

1. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Barb, we have trees and shrubs along the perimeter of the yard and we back onto the golf fairway with trees and woods on the border of the golf course. So I guess this provides a similar habitat. I put out dried mealworms and seeds that are shelled. They have a small beak and cannot crack open most seeds.

2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I must have 20 bluebird houses around my property. They are just natural wood color. I wonder if I could paint them in place. Watercolor, starting with the roof, slowly, one at a time. I must think about that for Springtime.

I think my little friends around my yard would love their houses to have a face lift......Thanks for the idea Donna S.

gfreiherr, I remember shelling my own seeds some 40 years ago. I think I bought one kind of little round seed and blended them gently in a food blender. Must try that again. Thank you, too.

3. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Mine was white with a copper roof...I put it up for "decoration" and they nested in it. Its not even a bluebird house. The new one I put up is just natural cedar, hope someone moves in this spring. I do remember reading an article that said they don't like bright colors but my neighbor has 3 painted bright green, yellow & red and I know they have nested in them.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh I love it. Little copper shingles on the roofs. Yes. That will be great for such a perfect, rich, little bird.

I really have never done anything with my bird houses before. I am so excited to do this.

Advertisement
  5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Great pictures Gail, beautiful birds, I wish they would frequent feeders during the summer months. For a lot of people with winter feeders, bluebirds are a bonus. With their normal diet in low supply, the birds use feeders to supplement their regular food sources and we get to take pictures.

Jerry

6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Beautiful shots gf!

7. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Thanks Jerry my bluebirds come to the feeders year round but not as much in the summer. Last summer for the first time they brought their babies to the feeder.

[​IMG]
    Feed Me, Feed Me...No Feed Me! ( photo / image / picture from gfreiherr's Garden )

Thanks CM, love my bluebirds

8. Annette

Annette Seedling

nice pictures. i haven't seen one in the city, don't really have the right kind of environment..lots of cardinals, and the little birds that stay all year, occasionally a flicker or downy, and plenty of finches & robins when the weather is better, but you never know.....have seen a couple of red tail hawks scoping the neighborhood this past week.