although it's not really scientific, for lack of numbers and the right control groups, i decided to do a little experiment on lavender seen germination. i started with two varieties, Burpee True Lavender and Munstead, though i think i got some of the seeds mixed up, so i wouldn't take that part as being important. my test conditions are: soaking in a paper towel for two hours/not soaking, freezing overnight in a damp papertowel in a ziplock bag/not freezing and planting on a damp paper towel/surface of the soil. all of the seeds end up in a shallow dish with 50% potting soil/50% sand under a 20w lamp, misted often then covered with plastic wrap. i started on June 11, 2015 with these groups: 1)10 seeds, wet for 2hrs, frozen and sown on soil 2)10 seeds placed on a damp paper towel and immediately frozen then sown on soil 3a)10 seeds, true lavender, sown on soil 3b)10 seeds, munstead, sown on soil 4)20 seeds placed on a wet paper towel for 2hrs, then the PT placed atop soil in bowl 5)20 seeds wet for 2hrs, frozen for a day then the PT placed atop the soil today, on the 15th, i have 3 sprouts from group 4 and 2 from the mundstead that were place directly on/in the soil. i'll update in two days - science, y'all, cause it works.