My first fermented sauerkraut..........

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by fatbaldguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

is a roaring success!!! The taste is better than anything canned I've ever had. Tastes like what we used to get down home. 3 weeks in a crock and this stuff was just perfect.

Only did one gallon as a test. Now, I'm gonna do 4 in a 5 gallon crock.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If I ship you a crock, will you fill, ferment, and then ship it back to me? I dearly love sauerkraut, and homemade is sooooo much better than bought!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh good for you. That is great to hear. I can't stand sauerkraut but have never had fermented or homemade... maybe I will stop by when the new one is ready?

stratsmom likes this.
  5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@fatbaldguy - what is your recipe? What did you do and how are you going to store the sauerkraut now that you've made it?

I LOVE sauerkraut but have never tried to make it. Now that you've said you've made it I can just taste it and have need to know (all you did) :like:

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I've never had homemade kraut before, I'd probably like it. The little old lady across the street put some kind of seed in hers...caraway or celery or???? She didn't offer me any :shrug:

7. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Shipping would likely cost way tooooooooooo much to make the 'kraut worth it.

Stop on by anytime, would love to have you sit for a spell.

No measurements, just a layer of shredded cabbage, Kosher salt (enough to see plainly) pound it down till it's juicy, repeat until you have how much you want. Cover with cheesecloth cut to fit, add weights. Add brine if there isn't enough liquid to cover weights. Cover crock, skim dross daily. I had it in the crock for about 18-21 days. It sat in the kitchen, temps ran between 75 to 85 degrees F. Kept the AC on most of the time. Worked so much better than trying it in jars.

She likely put in caraway seeds. I didn't do that.

The missus has put it in pints with brine and has vacuum sealed them. She's gonna look into water bathing or another method today. I'm thinking we can just store it in a cool place vacuum sealed.

Islandlife likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Congrats on the success, mate.
    Eat hardy!