My first pressure canning failure

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by Netty, Aug 19, 2015.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

OK !! Finally found the answer to the different processing times. It seems they changed the recommended processing times because many of the tomato varieties are low acid an they are covering all bases !! They also went with a longer time for those living at different altitudes so they made a small increase for that.. Above a certain altitude you still have to add more time. Kind of like unisex guidelines,, one for all !

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, that makes sense! The newer varieties of tomatoes are often "low-acid" so would need longer processing to be safe. I have read on canning forums that adding a teaspoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a quart of tomatoes before processing makes them safe in a hot-water bath.
    We grow a semi-heirloom type (Celebrity) that has been around for quite a while, and still contains enough acidity to make it safe to can in a hot-water bath at the recommended 35 minutes for quarts.
    Although we live on top of a hill :)rolleyes:) we don't have to adjust the canning time for altitude!

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Celebrity and Homestead are 50% of what I plant each year Along with the Parks Whopper, Better Boy, VF1,,"dont know how to make the 1 big" and a few other hybrids. I do not have much luck with the heirloom varieties that many on the forum grow. Maybe they do not like this sandy soil. I rarely try a new variety except maybe one per year. Since the ones I grow have been around for years I still use the 35 minute water bath,,although I do add another 5 minutes just to be sure . Hubby just eats them straight from the jar.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, I like to try a new variety each year, so this coming season I'll give Homestead a try.
    I too have trouble growing "heirloom" varieties--they just don't produce for us. Since we can, freeze, eat, and take tomatoes to the food pantry, I like a tomato that puts out a lot of fruit. One or two tomatoes per heirloom plant just doesn't do much for me.
    For canning, I think it is hard to beat Celebrities.

waretrop likes this.

Advertisement
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

If you like Celebrity you will sure like Homestead. Its been a garden staple variety for years. Not really much difference in the two,,produces about the same amount. I know what you mean,, the heirlooms just do not do well here. For a long producing salad tomato try Porter. About a 1 oz. fruit but very meaty and makes a ton of tomatoes.