My Garden,..and Beyond.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Philip Nulty, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Philip,

I just caught up with this posting. So sorry you have been sick! I am glad you had the company of Molly.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Thanks again folks for the well wishes,..i think this time i am in the clear,..i made a mistake and presumed i was recovered after about three weeks of Australian Flu alas not so and ended up with a lung and chest infection,..i has taken the dog for a long walk,..that was the mistake.

So i am out and about after five weeks,..first place was the park for a well needed doggy walk then the garden needed checking.

Just today my first Daffodil bloomed,..that is a welcome sight.
    IMG_1150.JPG

Hellebore buds are almost ready to open.
    IMG_1143.jpg

A neighbor who is doing a Horticulture Course asked me would i take some of my cuttings and produce some rose bushes for him :),..'Just like that ',..however he provided four flowerpots with soil,..so i just had to oblige and kept my fingers crossed as his request was in late Autumn,..so far three of the cuttings have produced leaves,..i would have liked if all four took root,..still it could happen yet.

Sjoerd, Henry Johnson and eileen like this.
  3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Jason,

delighted you like the roses,..best of luck with your long planting bed of roses,..that will be an impressive view when they are all in bloom,..i hope you have a good fence to keep those Deer away as i know how much damage they can do.

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sorry to read that your children contacted the Flu,..i hope they are well over that bug by now.

Advertisement
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Thanks Kay,..yep its everywhere just now,..at least four types of Flu going about and some very nasty ones as well,..fingers crossed for you and your grandchildren :like:

6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Cayuga Morning,..ah yes i spent lots of time on the recliner wrapped in a Duvet,..with one small dog as a substitute for a hot water bottle,..it works lol.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Glad to see you knocking-about here again.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You've obviously been missed here Philip and not just by me. So glad you're on the mend. :kiss:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Thanks Eileen and Sjoerd,..yep feeling great and took Foxy Molly for two walks,..its very cold this side of the pond and getting colder in the next few days,..cold winds coming from Russia,..on the other side of the pond,..America they are having a heatwave on the coastal areas and way beyond normal for this time of year.

Ventured into the garden today and yesterday,..only a short visit as its too cold and i don't want to reactive a Flu :).

My intention for the front small garden is to spread gravel or bark chips then plant flowers but as i have never used bark i wonder will the cats use this as drop area :rolleyes::)

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yes, Philip we are glad to see you back. I hope you are completely recovered now! and yes it is warmer than normal here this week. today was 61° today as I was out and about. great day for getting my hanging basket plants home. not too cold from car to house. I hope you stay warm over there.

Oh my, yes! your cats will use bark as a drop area.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Philip, so glad you are up and about, and taking walks with Molly.
    We have cedar bark chips on our path from the house to the workshop, and the cats love to "rearrange" the chips. They use the flower beds as a "drop area" (love that term!) but like to play and move the chips in the path. I have to rake the chips out of the grass and back into the path at least once a week.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Who knew bark mulch would be so popular with cats!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,..thank you,..just as well i thought about the cats using bark as a drop area before i purchased the bark,..i was at the hardware store and had in mind getting either gravel or bark,..it would be a waste of money had i took the bark,..at present the cats use the front garden space as the drop area,..this only happened since the Laurel Bushes were removed,..no problem now with smell from big drops,..when warmer weather arrives it would be different.

Its great to be outdoors at last,..i wasn't sure how to cope with Flu as i never had it before so i just treated it as one would with a common cold,..boy was it different and lingered.

So your cats use the flower beds,..fertilizer one could say,..interesting how they only rearrange the bark,..you are lucky there its not a 'drop area' lol.

Playing in the bark or rearranging it is not bad,..my reason for wondering would it be an invitation to make a cat deposit was a friends dog uses it as his special drop spot,..now its going to be gravel or pebbles on top of plastic sheeting with holes to allow water to drain away :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2018
  14. Cayuga Morning

Glad you are on the mend Philip. I have had flu only once in my life & I couldn't believe how sick I was. Best wishs to you.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Thank you,..its something i wouldn't wish on anyone,..i daresay i will need to avail of the free anti flu injection next year,..i will keep my fingers crossed for you that you never get the flu again,..especially the Australian flu:fingerscrossed:

Cayuga Morning likes this.