My Garden Log 2020

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by adam.ca, Feb 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

adam.ca likes this.
  2. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I just caught up with it Adam. I like seeing the little seedlings & I like your plot plan

adam.ca likes this.
  3. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

Thanks, I'll try to keep posting updates!

Yesterday I finished potting-up everything. the plants really liked being potted up, they seem to be growing fast! we got cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, and basil.
    [​IMG]
    thankfully these IKEA shelves are easy to lower, pretty soon it'll be time to lower the shelf one notch.

hummerbum, Cayuga Morning and Jewell like this.
  4. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

lowered the shelf 1 notch down. very cool to watch these grow.
    [​IMG]
    my next step will be to pinch off the first non-true-leaves of each tomato plant and add more potting mix in their cups.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Jewell and Cayuga Morning like this.

Advertisement
  5. Don Perry

Don Perry Seedling

You certainly are organized. I generally just throw some stuff out there and hope it comes up. We obviously have different styles.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  6. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

I did a more "let it be" type approach last year, and the year before that, and it worked out fine, despite doing alot of mistakes. now I'm trying to be more organized and see if this log is helpful to look at next year. and this thread is also just for the fun of sharing what I'm doing.

It's starting to look like a mini forest! I just keep watering once every 2-3days and adding some watered down (2-2-2 ish) liquate fertilizer, once in a while.
    [​IMG]
    The next step will be to start introducing these plants to the outdoor sun, a few hours at a time.

Good news! After 2 days of rain, the snow is pretty much ALL melted, Bad news.. my garden looks like a bomb went off! A good part of the fence had blown down last year in a crazy wind storm, now I'm in the process of fixing it. I hope to have it all upright tomorrow, and hopefully, it doesn't just fall over again:fingerscrossed:

Jewell likes this.
  7. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

You went to work? Is Canada not stuck at home? This is my second season in Milwaukee WI. So, I too, am still learning. My rhubarb crown is in the ground, my cool weather stuff is planted, and we had 70 degree weather yesterday.

8. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

I work from home.
    i'm still seeing -3oC nights, maybe I could plant some really cold tolerant stuff, but ill wait another week I think.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  9. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

And now we're getting snow flurries, after 70s (F) a couple days ago we keep getting the flurries. Go figure

10. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

tomorrow and the next day we will have 58oF high, but then 5 nights below freezing again... :(
    I think next weekend we can start planting some things ( NOT tomatoes that's for sure... ) it's probably OK to plant some things even if we are still dipping below freezing at night, but I'm a little behind on that, I've been busy fixing my fence.

In other news, I forgot to water the plants for a couple of days this caused some damage but I think it'll be Alright.

I'll post another pic later.

11. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

ops almost forgot to post this,
    as you can see there is some yellowing, I forgot to water... it's looking better now, I'll stay on top of the watering and post another picture in a few days, should look more Green! hopefully.
    [​IMG]

12. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

ok... well... these seedlings are doing pretty darn good, BUT the tomatoes are growing too tall, the Tiny Tim tomatoes and everything else is perfect, but these damn Moneymaker and Boney Best tomatoes are really starting to grow uncomfortably big! its madness I tell you! tangled tomatoes all growing tall and touching the lights, and it's only going to get worse! :eek:!!

not to worry I have a plan! but This week/weekend it's going to be crunch time!

1) Install a shelf next to the big window, so I can put all the MM and BB tomatoes on the window shelf.
    2) Complete the greenhouse, and use it to start 30+ pea plants. ( maybe use the rain gutter thing, it seems legit )
    3) Fix the fence Again! ( it was mostly all built annnndddd we had a wind storm. o_O ) redoing it bigger and better!
    4) Prep Raised beds, the solid level seems to have dropped, I plan to add fertilizer and then some soil/compost
    5) Direct sow radishes, spinach, lettuce, and carrots!
    6) Get infected with covid-19, and build immunity
    7) Install, Complete, Fix, Prep, Direct sow, Get infected, EVERYTHING!!! :like:

LOL, this is going to be fun!:cool:

Cheers!

13. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

I installed a shelf and put the tomatoes on the window sill because they are getting too tall for the lights on the grow shelf.
    [​IMG]
    hmmm maybe I should water them again...

Jewell likes this.
  14. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

The GreenHouse is almost complete
    [​IMG]

should probably have gone with thicker plastic...(its 1$ polyester sheets made for covering the furniture when painting, lol) but basically all that's left to do is add a little wood along the bottom and stable the plastic so its nice and neat at the bottom, and cant catch in the wind. hopefully, it's not too windy tonight :confused:. the door is simply overlapping plastic.

I also got some rain gutters which I will use to start peas tomorrow.

why a greenhouse?
    first off, this structure was a raised deck for a pool, which is no more. I repurposed it as a greenhouse because why not!
    also... currently, we are having 3 - 10oC days, so I'm guessing the extra heat in the greenhouse will be good for starting cool weather seeds, like peas in rain gutters, as the weather warms up, the cool weather seedlings will go in the garden and the summer crops will move into the greenhouse. At the end of the season, maybe ill be able to use it to keep the tomatoes grown in pots alive. also Its where I will store all my gardening equipment, And it's just cool AF to have a green house!

Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This is a great blog, Adam. I enjoy seeing the progress.

adam.ca likes this.