My greenhouse smells and feels so good.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Donna S, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Its 27* outside. My walk to the greenhouse is very cold, but it feels so good when I go through that door. My babies are looking good. I'll take green any day over all the white stuff on the ground.

DSCN2394.JPG DSCN2339.JPG DSCN2390.JPG DSCN2391.JPG DSCN2392.JPG

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your greenhouse looks how I'd love mine to be. Sadly ours is in desperate need of repair after 40-60mph winds took out a lot of the glass panels. I hope the winds die down soon as I want to get my seeds started.

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

It is so nice to see your green house coming to life. Meanwhile my garden is going into sleep mode and my fingers are itching to plant something.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've got the itch to play in the dirt too! Looking good Donna, I am green with envy!

Advertisement
  6. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I can't even get into my greenhouse yet. Too much snow. And my vegetable greenhouse is also covered in snow since I have no clear plastic cover on it.
    Can't get a picture to upload thru my iPad. Hmmm

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Donna, I see the strings of lights under the trays but do you have any other heat in your greenhouse? All of you plants look healthy and happy.

8. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

2ofus, Yes I have one of those oil filled radiators. It does a good job. The rope lighting works great when things need more warmth, same as heat mats but a whole lot cheaper. They have to be the old kind not the led lights. They are hard to find so when I do I buy several. I have 4 stations, two with grow lights, three with the rope lighting. Each station is covered with bubble wrap and I can close each one completely if the temps drop. I have been able to keep all plants warm, happy and healthy even when it was below 0*.

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Donna. Everything looking neat, tidy, healthy and happy - well organised too. I get the same feeling stepping into my small G/H, like going into another world. Only 6ft x 6ft and unheated I grow a selection of alpines in pots in it. At our first property used one as a general "rearing house" for seeds, cuttings and again a selection of smaller plants including alpines. Apart from the enjoyment of it all its also somewhere to go and do a little work on rainy days. Syd.

10. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I love a rainy day in the GH. Or any day I get to play in the GH.

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I start my seeds in the house under grow lights but need to provide heat in our un-heated green house so I can move the larger seedlings there so I can start more in the house. After seeing the way your green house is set up, Donna, I think I can manage to keep them warm enough. When I get it set up I'll post pictures and see if there's any suggestions if something isn't right.

12. GinnyC

GinnyC Seedling

Looks great! I'm jealous, no greenhouse here but I do have a cold frame that I plan to set up soon. It's snowing AGAIN as I am typing. What do you have growing so far?

13. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks Ginny
    I have peppers, tomatoes,spinach, Swiss chard, sugar snaps, turnips, beets, leeks, 3 kinds of lettuce. marigolds, Mexican sunflowers, snap dragons and petunias. In my house I have herbs,coleus, dragon wing begonias, cupids dart, a few more tomatoes and eggplant. I take them to the gh as soon as they are ready. Coleus and impatiens will be the last to go out.

2ofus, Happy you can start using your gh. Sheets of styro foam work well to insulate. also I bought at Lowes foil covered bubble wrap. It's in the isle with house insulation.

Second picture is my watering station. Last picture is how I close each station if the need arises.
    DSCN2400.JPG DSCN2402.JPG DSCN2404.JPG DSCN2405.JPG DSCN2407.JPG

14. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That is a good set-up. I don't start near as many plants as you do. Mainly tomatoes and broccoli for veggies. The rest of the vegetables are planted in the ground. That accounts for 2 flats but I also want to start a flat of marigolds so I can get an early start on my nematode problem. The soil in the green house has been covered with clear plastic to help in there. Then I'll start on the flowers I've chosen. Penstemon barbatus Pinacalada , and flowers for my patio pots. I have a cheap 4 tray greenhouse on wheels that I'll use in the large greenhouse and just try to heat the smaller area.

15. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Great idea. A greenhouse on wheels would be wonderful.

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That greenhouse of yours looks superb. I am busy digging the soil out of mine at the moment. It goes out stages.
    I have only planted broad beans and they are up...but still at home hardening-off outside during the day and inside on the windowsill during the night.
    It does me good seeing your progress. How are those Limnanthes doing?