My helper

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Clay_22, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

So this past Saturday I planned on doing a 1020 flat of flowers Sunflowers, Coneflower, Lupine..... This time after getting everything ready I let my 6 yr old daughter plant all the seed. Explaining why we need to put more than one seed per cell, why we label, etc. She was so excited doing it. She must of done a good job I got Sunflowers already popping up. Of course I showed her the fruits of her labor.

2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This posting of yours Clay, is perhaps one of the most important ever posted on this website. It is a glimpse of the next generation having interest in gardening and learning about natural processes. You of course, deserve respect for including and teaching your child about the wonder of nature that the planting of seeds represents...and the interest and excitement that your daughter has shown.
    I find it commendable and important, what you have done here. Who knows what fruit this one act of planting the seed of knowledge in your child will bear.
    Chapeau !

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That is awesome Clay! Getting kids interested in gardening as young as possible is so important!
    My grandson just turned 3 and he had his own raised bed last summer. He planted, watered and took care of his own little garden and was absolutely thrilled with his harvest.
    I wasn't sure if I was more impressed with my grandsons garden, or his mum and dad for helping make it happen - my daughter wasn't a huge fan of the garden growing up.
    When he comes to see my garden, his eyes grow wide and you can almost hear the gears turning in his head haha
    I'm going to ask him to help me plant my garden this spring :)

Cayuga Morning, Clay_22 and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great posting, Netty.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Clay and Netty, you are both doing so much good by introducing children to gardening, nature, and how things work!

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Update the Lupine's are popping up.

Netty and marlingardener like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Heart warning Clay. It brings back memories for me of gardening with my parents when small, and gardening with my own children when their were small. Our daughter now grows numerous houseplants and veggies on her balcony.

I hope your grandkids grow up with happy memories of this.

Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.