My horrible looking back yard....

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Tina, Mar 5, 2012.

1. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Maybe you could put a liner of some sort in the low spot in the back and create a bog garden there and if you have readily access to stones maybe a sloped stone ramp. I agree to fill in the low spot by the shed entrance.

[​IMG]

Brad likes this.
  2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I like all the suggestions... and the photo showing the view from above really let's us see exactly what you're dealing with.
    If you're not set on having grass up there, I'd get rid of it all and plant plant plant! You could even put in a pond. And perhaps a covered sitting area. Or anything else you could think of to take the place of grass. And that way, you wouldn't have to deal with a ramp for the mower. DeepWood's rock suggestion would also work for steps instead of ramp.
    I like DeepWood's rendition and idea of a bog area.
    I'm excited to see what you do with that area!

3. Tina

Tina Young Pine

OMG!! Is that really my yard??? WOW!! looks gorgeous (in picture). Thanks Deepwoods. I am not sure I can pull this off though. Definitely like the hedges and the ramp.

Cherylad - I really am not interested in having the grass. I dont have the time to maintain it. I dont like the idea of a pond either, but plant plant plant is exactly what I have in mind.
    Lets see.
    Is the rhododendron not a good fit for this yard?

4. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

I d like your yard :-D

SongofJoy57 likes this.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The stone ramp is amazing! Send DeepWoods a hug!
    Yes, your rhododendrom is a good match for this yard, but get another one, or better yet, two. "Specimen plants" always look lonely, and a planting of two or three will make more of a statement.You can have azaleas, too. Is your soil slightly acidic? Hydrangeas would be lovely there.
    Since you don't want grass, how about a groundcover like Asian jasmine? Green, doesn't need mowing, and when you want to put in another flower bed, it's easily removed.

6. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Just an idea that came to mind...

[​IMG]

Tooty2shoes, Cayuga Morning and Brad like this.
  7. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Also,the area where Deepwoods drew the circle, there is a nice clump of daisy flowers which I would like to save. They bloom every summer and provide a much needed white cheery appearance to the area which doesnt get much sun.

8. Tina

Tina Young Pine

(((HUGS)))(((HUGS)))(((HUGS))) Deepwoods...I am loving what you are doing with my yard :)
    Thank you sooo much!!

Yes, I will get more rhododendrons for this yard, and azaleas too. Thanks !

9. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Thank you and your welcome. The "hedges" around the crossties could be azeleas or rhodies.

10. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

couldn't you maybe go down the asian/oriental route with this garden, they use alot of timber and hardstanding surfaces?? you could line the raised area and put down some slate, or course sand which looks great when raked into shapes around pots and plants, this would eliminate the grass maintenance. potting the plants up with ericaceous compost would save work on the soil too. . . . just a thought :-D

DeepWoods likes this.
  11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Tina, Deepwoods has some great ideas for your lawn, the only thing I suggest is to read the Rhodie label and see what the mature size is for one ( or each of the different varieties you choose), before you buy too many and find yourself having to move them in the next few years :( .In order to "see" the mature size of the plant take a string 1/2 of the width of your plant ( the label will tell you a WxL measure for that particular plant) and put a stake where you want to plant one. Attach the string to the stake and walk a circle the extended length of the string around the stake. Marking the circumference of your circle as you go. then you will "see" how much room your new plants will eventually need for the space. You will be able to keep it pruned some to contain it, but you will not want to do a whole lot to it continually to keep it within the boundaries you want it.
    We often think there is space for all we want to plant and the plants tell us exactly what they need by doing poorly or great in a particular space. They become more susceptible to disease if they are crowded, too.

Good luck on the transformation of your lawn.

12. designshare

designshare New Seed

Azaleas do not have enough shade for it.weeping cherry,lilac maybe work.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from designshare's Garden )

13. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Tina looks like a interesting project. I love Deepwoods design of that area. One thing you could do instead of the stone ramp and path. Is use the timbers(if they are in good shape) and make a stairs going up to the top of the raised garden area. Then for your path you could use a nice mulch. What I do to get rid of that much grass is cover it with something that will kill it. Like old carpeting, heavy black plastic, ect. But that takes a while for the grass to die. If you aren't in a big hurry it works great.
    If your like me you want it to look beautiful right now. But with patience it will come together before you know it. :stew1:

14. designshare

designshare New Seed

Many folks think beautiful garden are some flowers.this is not right.A Sustainable Ecology is really important. I post other ideas pic here,I like to add a fire pit.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from designshare's Garden )

Cayuga Morning and Brad like this.
  15. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Planted 2 ferms in the block spots. I brought these from Jewels garden yesterday - among a LOT of other plants. Thanks much, Jewel.
    I will keep posting updates on my garden as things take off.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )