My horrible looking back yard....

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Tina, Mar 5, 2012.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tina, and so it begins! You have great ideas to work with, and the updates are eagerly awaited.

2. Tina

Tina Young Pine

We started work today. Cleared out the corner, and put bricks up against the back log for support. Then we put in a lot of compost and planted 2 ferns and some day lilies. Mulch completed the picture. Put in bricks as edging too. Not a bad start, no?

[​IMG]
    view from upstairs patio ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Close up ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

3. Tina

Tina Young Pine

There is bad news too :(
    While working in the yard, we found some small ares which were very sunken even in the middle of the yard. When I stamped on that area, it almost felt like my feet went in a few inches. Any ideas what could be wrong? Should we get someone to come over and check? If yes, who? Do you think a professional landscaper could help?
    I am also a little worried about the timber walls. Seems the timber is rotting and could need replacement. Do you have any idea how much that could cost?
    Thanks in advance.

4. designshare

designshare New Seed

1.Ferns are shade tolerance plants too.Should give it some shade.
    2 When you water it will get more sunken.Nothing or you add some soil and mulch.
    3.You need to replace the timber now or after the plants healthy and strong.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Tina-- Is there anyway to find out why it is a raised bed? Do your neighbors know the history? That may help explain why you are getting sunken areas. Sunken areas are usually do to water. Are there any pipes under there that could be leaking? Do you have a septic system or town sewage? Could your septic be in that raised area?

Another reason for the sinking could be that refuse has been buried in the raised area and it is rotting away. I have friends who had a sinking problem and it was because their contractor had buried huge (really huge) boulders that were excavated from the cellar and the soil was settling around the boulders.

The timbers do look like they are rotting. Do you really need them?

6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Tina,

Questions that come to mind about the sinking area:

Can you smell any septic gases in the effected area? You may need to get low to the ground for this one, otherwise you would already know.

Do you know where the sewer/grey water pipes exit the house?

Do you have a separate laundry area drain?

Is there any evidence of unaccountable water flow from the outside(back) wall of the raised bed? Wet areas when there has not been any rain. If you think there is, take pictures.

Do any neighbors in the area have a similar feature?

Is there a hidden/buried roof drain? You may need to wait for a rain to do this one.

A little far fetched but still a possibility:

Decomposing wood from an old tree that was cut down and used as a filler to make a raised bed?

Do the areas that sink follow a line to/away from the house(evidence of a collapsed pipe)?

And lastly, perish the thought, but:

Does the water meter still register water flow even though no faucets are on?

Jerry

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tina, if the timbers are rotting, and you are going to replace them, don't use more wood. I strongly suggest you use stone, either cut, or a rip-rap wall (which is made of odd bits of stone or cement). It is permanent, looks more natural than timbers, and will cost about the same.

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Yes it is a very good start!
    If you're going to replace the timbers, best to do it now before you do much more planting.
    And sorry to hear about the sinking. I can't add anything to what the others have advised, except to say, make that your top priority before any further work is done.
    Would be a shame to waste time, money, energy AND beautiful work if there is a major problem. I'm hoping it's just a simple thing that will only take some dirt to fix. Good luck!

9. Cayuga Morning

Jerry--Much better said than me! You have an organized mind and obviously know something about house maintenance/utility problems. Let us hope it is not a big problem, but Tina I second Cherlad's thought that it might be best to figure out what is going on before you invest more time & money. Let us know the upshot, please.

10. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks so much for the responses. Unfortunately I dont have the answers yet, but am tryin to find out. Our house is in a hill and there is a steep slope in the sides of the house. Neighbors have a slope too. Attaching picture - if you see beyond the Juniper bushes is the neighbors yard. They dont have a rasied bed, but have a slope where they put in steps.

[​IMG]
    neighbors yard is beyond the bushes ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

Pictures of the hole are :

[​IMG]
    hole in the yard ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

[​IMG]
    hole 2 ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

I could'nt detect any smell. It is drizzling now so will try again when dry. Hubby says that we had gotten a notice last year from the water supply company that a leakage was detected in the water meter. It had turned out to be a toilet leaking and after that was fixed, there was no such notice.

If we have to call someone for help, who should we call? Do you think landscapers will the ones to detect the issue with certainity here? Do you guys have a rough idea of what the cost could be?
    Thanks again!

11. Cayuga Morning

Tina, So maybe the timbers were installed to give a flat area to your backyard due to the slope? That makes sense.

You could try digging down where the soil is caving in and see what you find.

It is a good sign that the water meter is not ticking away!

Other than those suggestions, I am out of my depth here.

12. designshare

designshare New Seed

I have knew you have drain and timbers rotting problem(please see the drains and stairs in my each a suggest pics ) before you said it.
    But now,my suggests be ignore them if you don't need any patio,fire pit...these suggests are some expensive.You could plant squill,lily,canna,skunk cabbage... and add step bricks.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from designshare's Garden )

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tina, the sunken area looks linear, like an old pipe that has given way. Often old sewer pipes, water pipes, or drainage pipes were made of red clay and they break as they age. If you dig down and see red pieces of something that looks like broken flower pots, that's what it is. Just fill the areas, tamp them down well, and then after the new dirt settles, add a bit more dirt to even things up. These old pipes are no longer functional and are not part of anything vital to your home or well-being.
    I forgot to say before that corner you planted and mulched looks really nice!

14. Cayuga Morning

Tina--Yes the mulched area does look nice!

15. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks everyone!
    I still need to replace the timber used as retaining wall. They are rotting real bad and dont think will last too long. Any ideas on what will be the most cost effective way to replace that? Or can I remove the wall all together and level up the land?