My horrible looking back yard....

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Tina, Mar 5, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I have no suggestions... but was trying to remember the other day who had a major project going. I look forward, still, to seeing the transformation.

2. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Now is the time to pick your favorite colored rhodies. Most are blooming between now and Memorial Day. They are better than azaleas that tend to stay too small to make a hedge. I've seen some lovely hedges created with rhodies. A good thing about rhodies is that most varieties don't get much more than ten feet tall and are very easy to manage since after four feet they slow down their growth. They are a natural for this area, although you will have to water well their first year.

Wish I had thought of this idea years ago... :rolleyes: darn.

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I second the rhodie idea. You can get large leaved varieties or small, your preference. Another possibility is kerria, a deciduous bush, but being deciduous you would nave no screening in winter. Yet another possiblility is bamboo--just be careful not to buy the running kind! Hemlock is another option, but they would need sheering or else they become trees.
    Good luck!