My Husband found a New Skill During His Retirement from being a HGV Driver

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by DianneWoollie, Mar 31, 2021.

1. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

One of his first makes..A Log Horse made in our UK Home and brought over to where we reside now In France
    002.JPG 001.JPG

Started making chicken related goods for Mantel Farm a nearby business..Pocket money..
    GATE 013.jpg
    A simple gate
    goats climbing 1.JPG
    Goat stands that went to Barby Keels Animal Santuary..Goats like to climb and be up in the clouds!
    d.JPG
    This is one of many my Husband made for the Chicken Farm now a part-time worker, with added benefit a new found friend ,the owner of the farm.This is still under the last stages of construction the job was in a nearby special school in Hastings E.Sussex..They then ordered a Duck House/Pen and then they had to build a Pond and supply the School with lots of Ducks..Children were thrilled to say the least..

P9052882.JPG
    Bird Tables for the Animal Charities Sale/Fete Day

PICNIC 002.jpg
    Made for the Animal Sanctuary. with the view we had of Pebsham Farm next door
    that was before the Industrial Units took over....1200 houses to be built around the area
    (I know houses are needed but so is countryside) we were next to this farm and next to the farm is Protected Land because there are sites of Nature Conservation Importance..the link shows a complete dream of plans and ideas but No not for us...sooner we moved away from this building site the better...
    https://democracy.eastsussex.gov.uk/Data/Economy, Transport and Environment Scrutiny Committee/20070918/Agenda/STE18Sept07item7App1and2.pdf
    Back to basic Planters that are here with us in our Garden to enjoy,
    017.JPG

wooden flower boxes.JPG

2. Loading...

3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I really appreciate how many hours are spent on such projects! I enjoyed seeing this, and since I have a pile of garden timber wood under a tarp outside I believe I felt a twinge of inspiration when I saw the planters. Is your husband still with us? Over across the pond when we use the word late in a sentence with the word husband it often and sadly means they have passed.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    DianneWoollie likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow! He's a busy guy. I liked the planters too!

DianneWoollie likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well,, she said "we moved to France" so I am assuming he is still with us !

Advertisement
  6. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

. 11667337_10153459694999801_6893339803049596619_n (1).jpg
    Here he is in our Kitchen..'posing' because he lost so much weight in the last two years...

7. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

I did enjoy doing it, but he has so many photos of all the jobs he done for his mate Jason at Mantel Farm which even Jason calls Mental Farm..it was hard not to post more..many many stories around that family that could keep you entertained for hours...The planters are everywhere here and were poles, sawn in half and purchased from a local that makes plyboard and the poles are what is left after the process...1.20 Euros each and 2.70 metres in length and 75mm wide..so cheap to use....

right, it is a late skill....a skill discovered he did not know he had... I do appreciate pointing that out and I call my dad ..my late Dad because he has passed away. so it is use here but also used for many descriptions...late arrival...late again...I am always late...late for work...late doing that...goes on and on the usage.....before a name is the same as your use..passed away....died..Thank you and it would be good to see it you do manage any use out of your old wood..We both have all our time to ourselves as retired peeps and want to be busy, not sitting around too much until the evenings...

8. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Yes mart ,he is very much alive and kicking..(we say that as a tongue in cheek comment)..I did not realise that would cause confusion....just typed it as I made up the title, rather quickly. I will ask Frank to tell me how to edit it differently...Husband would just laugh, he is a born joker...

9. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Clever and skilful. I was the first ever boy at my Secondary Modern School to be allowed to drop Woodwork and Metalwork when choosing O' Levels (1961ish) as I was so appallingly bad at them. Must be very satisfying to be able to create things like that.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

Yes he is at his most content when making anything with wood..He is in the throws of making a pair of temporary gates for our new plot of Land, The fence is a tall wired type so posts in and then attached to the gates with large hinges I would think.. We have not actually discussed it:headscratch:
    I think we all have skills, loving what you do is a good place to start....I hold the purse strings:)love it...

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Being skillful at something, or several things, is so wonderful! My dear husband can make, fix, or figure out almost anything.
    Here is a cupboard he made designed from one we saw at Williamsburg. The docents were kind enough to let us take measurements, knowing that we were going to try to duplicate it. But since it wasn't an original Williamsburg piece, they allowed us to take a close-up look, and take measurements. Garage 2.jpg

Cayuga Morning and eileen like this.
  12. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

This was to be the greenhouse's final place...