My In-laws are just shaking their heads in confusion

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Mar 25, 2013.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Last month when I finally got the tractor hood, my FIL started giving me advice on how to sandblast and paint it and that he had Farmall decals I could put on it. Took a lot of talking to explain that it is not going to be restored but used as is (except for the addition of a winking eye) in the garden. For those wondering what I am talking about....The tractor hood is MINE! and now it winks ;)

So last time we were down there I happened to mention that I was going to start looking for an old pickup truck tailgate....he just shook his head. Last Saturday we stopped by there before going on another junque shop excursion in that area. He was ready for me, he had put a box on the back of his working tractor (the hood of which he has already told me I can not have ;) ) We went out to the far back end of their property where a mid-1960's Chevy pickup sits rusting away in the elements. While he and Randy got the tailgate off I scrounged through a bunch of junk in the truck bed and under the hood and found a few more things to make off with. I don't think my MIL yet understands what these things will all become.

Randy called this a Cog, FIL called it a Sprocket, I called it MINE...
    [​IMG]
    Cog, Sprocket, MINE ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Fan blades off a 6 cylinder engine...
    [​IMG]
    2 engine fan blades ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Lawn mower blades, make/model/engine size unknown. But I thought the star/snowflake shape in the middle was cool.
    They will be mounted in the yard with the help of rifle racks from a pickup truck.
    [​IMG]
    Mower blades ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Another shovel head for future path marking...
    [​IMG]
    Speaks for itself ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

And the tailgate from the white pickup truck. I am sectioning off the backyard so Randy can create a work area to restore his old Dodge pickup so this will be across the path that now goes to the back fence and have all sorts of plants in front of it....creating a new bed for the tail gate. :rolleyes: I think I want to do a little painting on the letters so the word Chevrolet shows up.
    [​IMG]
    Truck tailgate to become back border of flower bed ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The cog/sprocket looks to be off of some irrigation equipment. The shovel head just needs a handle and you are ready to dig. Will be interested to see how the other good finds turn out.

Jerry

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, your inventiveness and eye for the "find" amazes me!
    My in-laws just cried--they didn't shake their heads.
    They had had such high hopes for their son . . . .

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

"Randy called this a Cog, FIL called it a Sprocket, I called it MINE..." and they're FREE!! :D
    You couldn't do any better than that Toni - well done. :smt041 :smt041

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Paint those fan blades yellow, and they become petals of a sunflower! :stew2:
    I love the sprocket, that is great1

7. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

It's from an Oliver 77 tractor that my Grandfather used on the farm. My guess is that it clamped onto the rear axle and powered the grain drills. He grew, bailed, and sold a lot of hay over the years.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Toni,, I used to buy all the shovels with busted handles I could find. I, and the rest of my art class painted small landscapes on them, varnished them with marine varnish, and made yard art out of them. Just stick the broken handle in the ground. It usually always breaks into a good sharp point. Nice little landscape in the flower bed.

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Those are some great treasures. But I really like the mower blades with that little star/snowflake. And the cog is my second favorite. I can't wait to see all of this junque placed in and around your home.
    :smt023

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Are you done painting and putting those lovelies in place yet? I want to see what they look like in their new home.

11. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

cool stuff

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a find. I shall be interested to see the final products...and see where they come to rest.

13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Hey, Toni.... I have some old shovel blades that need new handles. It hasn't happened yet. I have not figured out anything else to do with them, so they are in a bucket in my shed for safe keeping. I need to go and fetch that iron cot frame on the edge of my property in the woods... I have another cot frame in the shed, that I had wanted to make the top of an arbor with. So far, it has not yet turned out. But they are not going anywhere.

The fan blades and cog would make a cool sunflower if painted yellow.