My Latest Gardening Tool

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by cherylad, May 4, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Not long ago,one of our Canadian friends mentioned they were going to a certain gardening store up there (sorry... I can't remember who it was right off hand).
    I didn't make it 5 minutes on this website before I found something I had to have.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=67190&cat=2,2280,54307

Used it right away when I got home to water the plants and trees that the hoses just won't reach.
    It worked pretty darn good! But it was much too heavy for me when it was filled. Somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 is about all I could manage.
    One complaint was that once you were down to the last bit of water, the bag would flop out of the wheel barrow.
    My wheel barrow is only the 4 cubic yard one (didn't want the big one... because well... I wouldn't be able to fill it up and move the darn thing). So maybe it was intended for the larger wheel barrows?
    Their "anti slip mat" could be better. Perhaps a bath tub mat would work better?
    And I also think it could use a handle on the end so when you had to dump out the last bit of water, there was something easy to grab it by.
    But it really cut down on some walking back and forth with a bucket. I probably cut my watering time in half... if not more!
    Now... how to I steal their patent and improve on it?

;)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. S-H
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Amie
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cherylad, thats a lot of water.
    21 gallons = 168 pounds. No wonder you weren't able to move it full. Kudos to you for trying though! :eek:

4. cherylad

I knew I wouldn't be able to do it. But Hubby said to try it anyhow. He was standing by if I wasn't able to handle it. Good thing I was close to a tree already... just gave it good drink and moved to the next one with a lighter load.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

good thing water doesn't weigh as much as honey. You would have been moving (or trying to)252#'s in your wheelbarrow.LOL :eek: :eek: :eek:

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Useful purchase Chery :) First question I asked myself was how will it not fall out at the end. I hope you find a better non-slip mat somewhere.

7. cherylad

I was thinking about it last night and may have come up with a solution. I'll test it first before I say anything and look like a fool! :D

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, according to the website, that thing weighs 176 lbs. when full. No wonder you couldn't shift it!
    It is a good idea, but obviously it is intended for large, hefty people to use for weight lifting training.
    Anxious to find out what your idea for a better mat is. You are so clever, I bet it's a good one!

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cherylad, We all know gardening is hard work, but you are taking this to a whole new level. Pretty soon we'll see you trying out AND making the Olympic weight lifting team... and we can all say "we knew her when she was just a lowly gardener".LOLOLOLOLOL

10. cherylad

Trust me... I will not ever attempt to move that thing full of water again! :D
    I'll find the perfect level/weight and stick to that. In the meantime, I'll start filling it next to something that needs watering. Too heavy to move? I can just dump some out right there!

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

For $10 this would be handy for me even if all I could move was 1/2 in the wheelbarrow... As it is, I can only carry 2 full watering cans at a time.

My question for you is, at what point does it start to flop out, Cheryl? You're right, a few improvements would go a long way.

12. cherylad

Daisy... since I'm not sure exactly how much water I put in and how much I poured on each tree... I'll just put it this way. By the time I got to the last tree to water, I found it best to just lift the bag out and pour. Probably a gallon or two?

13. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

ah the fun of lee valley :)

i think the secret is in the type of wheel barrow they use. with a more central wheel rather than the typical nose wheel ones. will take more of the weight.

I've heard that they are very open to suggestions for product improvements. So might be worth letting them know your thoughts on the design

must admit I'm loving my new wateringcan from them

14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I've seen one of those in use, and was suitably impressed. Our hose is long enough to reach to wherever we need water, and usually we won't have to water much either, so I don't think I'll get one. Do tell about your improvement ideas!

15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

A good purchase Cheryl!,..and not too expensive either,..when i had my big veg garden that would have saved me a lot of walking,..the nearest water tank was about 100yards away,..the amount of trips i used to make carrying two watering cans was huge,..oh if i only had your water bag back then.

16. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Cheryl -- I'm gonna try this. I never plant any flowers in the front yard because it's too inconvenient to water out there. Imagine! A whole new area to plant! Whoo hoo!