My little tabby cat

Discussion in 'Pets' started by gardenelf, Jun 8, 2011.

1. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

At my previous address, I had a little tabby cat come to visit me every day. She belonged to people who lived around the corner.

Each morning when they went to work, I would hear their garage door open & not long after that she would jump up onto my fence and come running to my kitchen door. She knew she'd get a little treat.

If I didn't open the door quickly enough, she'd stand up against the seat near the window and miaow her little heart out. She kept me company during the day in my garden for 8 years. Her "people" knew she'd be with me, and didn't mind. They called me her surrogate mom.

Moving house was a blessing because my new house is so much better (no noisy neighbours and no busy roads), but of course I couldn't take the cat with me.

I still miss her terribly every day, wonder how she is (if she's still alive. She would be about 12 now, but already had problems with her sinuses and lungs when I knew her). I tried contacting her owners, but they never replied. :'(

My avatar looks very much like her. All my photo's of her are on another harddisk, but I'll place some of them here as soon as I've transferred them to my laptop. :stew2:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. glendann
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I'm sure she missed you a lot when you left also. Maybe she is 'bothering' the new house owners also.

My Mom's cat of many years ago was such a part of our lives. I think she was 16 when she disappeared. But in a way it's good that we didn't know what happened to her. In my mind she is still alive.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It's always sad to leave friends behind, both two- and fourlegged ones. I hope your feline friend is taken care of by the new house owners. Our neighbour share our cats with us, and we got to share their cat while she was alive. They enjoy having to homes to rule.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Gardenelf, is there a little cat in your future? You obviously have an affinity for cats, and they for you. No need to miss your tabby friend when there is another new friend out there, waiting to meet you. (I am owned by a calico, by the way!).

Advertisement
  6. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Marlingardener, your calico Feliz is beautiful. She's lucky she found you, looks like she really enjoys being with you!

I really would like nothing better than to take home a little kitty from the animal shelter. (breaks my heart when I think how many of them are waiting for a good home)

Unfortunately I am away from home for longer periods quite a lot, so it wouldn't be fair on the poor cat to leave her alone so long and so often.

No chance of sharing anyone else's cat here: almost everyone here has a dog (or 2), and my neighbours always keep all of their cats indoors. Definitely won't get to share them! :(

Doesn't mean I still dream of sharing my home with a cat some day. For now, I'm grateful to have such wonderful memories of "my" little tabby.
    :stew1:

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Awww, I bet you do miss her. We share cats with our neighbors too :p

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You can have my neighbours cats any time. I get fed up with them coming into my garden and killing my birds.
    Sorry to hear that you had to leave your little friend behind though as she sounds such a lovely little things.

9. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

I can feel how much you miss her in your words Gardenelf. You made a real difference in her life
    and she in yours also. You can feel good about that.
    Critters always leave paw prints on our hearts.
    Be happy.

marlingardener and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Gardenelf,
    it is a consolation that you will always remember your little tabby cat,..as she was!,..even though its sad you had to leave her behind,..but as Frank said about his Mothers cat when it disappeared,..he will always remember her as still alive,..and you both have good memories to fall back on,..oh i like your avatar!.

11. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Thank you all for you kind words, so heart-warming!:smt049

Philip, I often think just that. I wouldn't have liked to see her get old and sick, I would have broken my heart.

Cuatro gatos, I like the thought of that paw print, very sweet!

I've located little cat's photo's, and I'm going to upload some of them now to My Garden. :stew2: