My Maryland snow saga continues...

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by daisybeans, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well good gried, Daisy....it's just been goiung from dramatic to.......well, I don't know what!
    We've been getting stories over here about the storm where you are--so you KNOW it's a biggie.

There really is something cozy about being curled-up warm and dry inside while the world outside is covered in snow up to the hips.

It's amazing.

Well, all your pals on here are sitting through it with you. We're just a mouse click away, Daisy.

I'll bet that you will gain a pound or two while you're holed-up and enjoying all those special foods.

Take care and keep us updated by all means.

2. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I just looked at my heating oil tank gauge and it is less than 1/8 full. I hope they can get out here tomorrow with a delivery. I hope I don't run out tonight. I'm trying hard not to panic! I've done so well up to now. YIKES.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Just settle down now, Daisy...
    Have you called the heating oil people yet?
    I don't like the sound of this, but I guess that with all that snow you will be insulated at least.
    You had better keep the heat turned down during the night.
    Do you have any electrical heaters...like space heaters that you can use?
    Perhaps you can wear sweaters and keep your thermostat low to conserve.

Of course it is going to be alright, but do nag those oil distributors a bit, won't you?

4. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Oh No!!! I sure hope they can get out tomorrow. Will put you on the prayer list tonight. Stay warm and get that wine out!

Advertisement
  5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Panic will not get the heating oil people there any faster! I hope you have an alternative source of heat. A space heater won't even help if you lose your electric. Do you have a gas stove for cooking? Maybe you could just heat one room and shut down the ones where you don't have pipes that will freeze. We do that here.
    dooley

6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wish I could lend you the two spare heaters I have here Daisy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your delivery comes tomorrow.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

OK then, I had a bit of a melt down there for a minute, now didn't I?

... I left a message for the oil people but of course, they are closed like everyone else... I've turned down the temp, added some layers... I have a space heater and an extra in the garage (which I'd have to dig out, so we'll see...)... and most importantly, an electric blanket so I will be fine through the night. The blizzard warning is about to be lifted so I think (I hope) the chance of losing electricity is low now. That will allow me to cook too. I hadn't thought about the pipes, they should be OK I think -- just the kitchen pipes are on the outside wall and the kitchen is open to the living room. The others are interior...

I hope and pray that the oil people will be able to get here tomorrow. That's the main concern. Tonight I can handle... but another 24 hours would be rough. I'll have to dig them a path to the oil tank -- oh goodness, I'll have to dig my way out of the yard first....

Oh, gosh, I am laughing about this, please know! Better to laugh...

I am on an automatic delivery plan and I can't imagine why I would have wound up so close to the bone on this. My guess is that the very cold temps, and my higher than usual usage during the past week (because I'm usually at work during the day) has thrown off their "formula." But still, it seems unusual to me...

I just hope they can get out here tomorrow with their truck. Ah well, I've done what I can do, practically speaking... Worrying about it further won't help... but I truly truly do appreciate your concern and suggestions and encouragement and prayers...

PS -- I'm amazed to hear that you have heard about our storm in West Friesland, Sjoerd! That's pretty neat!

8. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Throw on the 'long-johns' and sweat clothes. And stay in bed to stay warm if you have to. And keep the wine handy! :D

Of course the weather was the top story tonight on the 5:30 news. With the first storm it was pretty (was), but it is getting down right ridiculous. Do keep us updated.

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hang in there daisybeans. The Norwegian news have shown the blizzard too. You have my sympathy! I think you've got about as much snow on the ground as we have at the moment, but a couple of days of milder weather will make the snow sink a lot. I think we'll have white stuff on the ground until Easter the way things are going. *hugs* I'm glad other Stewbies have better conditions, which means flower photos. :D

Good luck with the heating oil people. Stay warm!

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You know, Daisy....I remember you talking about all that rain and moisture back last year when you were looking for a solution to the brown-spot problem on your rose leaves. It seemed like the wetness just went on and on and on--I recall thinking at that time, "I wonder what would happen if this were snow"?...and wondering what snowfall was like where you lived.
    I guess I discovered the answer to those questions.

Well, it sounds like you have done about all that you can do for the moment. Do you think that the oil folks will be answeriong their fones during the daytime?
    If they only knew how low you are, they might give you priority...I think that I would send an e-mail as well as a FAX marked as "Priority". Heck, what can it hurt!

Hang in there now.....
    [​IMG]

11. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Hi Daisy...sending good thoughts your way. Hoping you still have heat and electricity, we are all pulling for you and everyone else who fell inside the bubble. You are always encouraging everyone here on the stew, today it's your turn to be cheered on. :setc_005: Keep us posted and keep those photos coming!

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hello all.
    First off, your notes and posts have really been great encouragement! Thank you!

I feel like a celebrity with our storm getting news coverage so far from home. I just read that Baltimore has had a total of 70.2 inches of snow this winter. I think for a town that is used to something like 18 inches in a typical winter, we doing pretty well...

But Droopy... I don't know how you do this every winter... wow. WOW. I have to say, it is energizing, in a weird way.

I'm all bundled up, Gaylyn. It's cool in here -- about 52 degrees but not too unpleasant.

Ooh, gotta go. Oil people just called and I have to go out and shovel a path to the oil tank fill... they are going to "try" to get here... Fingers crossed!!1

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

YIPPEEEEEEEE!!

:setc_083: ---Light at the end of the tunnel....so to speak. ;)

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

OK, the good news: I am all dug out already and it's only 11 a.m.!!! When I was on the phone with the oil company, I looked out the window to see the condition of the road and guess what I saw? My friend Mark was shoveling away at my driveway. He is my dear friend from childhood who has helped me out of many a bind... In return I cook for him when he allows it... We made short order of getting my habitrails trimmed and my car cleaned. Of course he shoveled at twice my speed so I'm not even tired!

The not as good news: He confirmed my suspicians re: my oil tank.. We stuck a stick down into the tank... It is empty. It should not be empty. It was "supposed" to have been filled by the last delivery on January 4th... so I suspect someone else's tank got filled instead. I called the oil people again and brought this up with them and the guy I talked to agrees that something has gone wrong. So I will have to get to the bottom of THAT but in the meantime, I hope they get here soon. In my opinion, this new development should put me at the top of their list, don't you think?

So it is cold inside. But manageable. I would like to take a hot shower but no hot water either! Still, I feel very fortunate. I'm thankful for my friend Mark and for all of you who keep me jazzed up, and I'm really thankful that I am physically able to deal. And I haven't lost elect.

I'm really hoping that others who've been in these storms have fared as well as I have and we hear from them soon.

Camera batteries are charging and then I'll go out and see what I can see!!

Droopy -- I'm afraid we will have snow until Easter too!!! At least!

15. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I hope the oil company realise their mistake Daisy and fill up your tank for free this time around. Fingers crossed that they can get through to you now that Mark has helped you tunnel your way to the tank.
    What a lovely friend and neighbour he is. :-D