My new house

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by gardenelf, Mar 11, 2015.

1. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Well, Eileen, I must admit that most of the credit goes to people other than myself :) Our handyman of course, and his wife, who did most of the plastering & painting. My BF, who does all the electrics, and last but not least my dear sister, who oversees and organises everything. My goodness, this sounds like one of those Oscar speeches :chuckle:
    My sister knows someone who can provide the paint, but as she's very busy, I'll just have to be patient. The stairs are clean & smooth, so they can be painted later.
    Good idea, that strip on the wall, I'll bear it in mind, thank you!
    The glass in the door is double glazing, and still under guarantee. Handyman will get replacements. In his 15 years of placing double glazing, he has never come across leaking panes, leave alone 2 at once :(
    That outside tap is proving so very handy, because despite the lack of warm sunshine, the plants all dry out due to the never ending cold, dry wind we've been having for months now.
    I'll try to take some garden pictures with my "proper" camera next time, they are usually much clearer :stew2:

Frank, you got the idea! :D

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It's good to know that you and your boyfriend have some good people around to help you out. Getting a new home sorted can be very stressful so I'm glad everything seems to be coming along nicely for you both. Thank goodness the door is still under guarantee. Fingers crossed the new glass will soon be in and you'll have no more problems with it.

3. kate

kate In Flower

Adorable first home! I so envy you , like the others I can't wait for the progress Images.

Be happy for many years in your new home.

I know its hard your mum wanting home but she needs a lot of care now and the carers can give her 24 7 care.

Keep visiting her to keep her from fretting.
    K

4. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Thanks for all your good wishes! :)

Advertisement
  5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Becky and I too share the same thoughts as Frank :)

Frank likes this.
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

You have done so much to your home. It looks great, warm and inviting.

7. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

IMG-20150628-WA0007.jpg IMG-20150701-WA0004.jpg IMG-20150701-WA0006.jpg IMG-20150701-WA0008.jpg

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in that comfy little yellow chair, thinking how gloomy and dark it was in the livingroom. My BF suggested it may well be the blue/grey colour on the wall that was causing this gloom. After giving it some thought, I decided to repaint that wall in the same colour as the rest of the house: cream white. And guess what: the gloom's gone :)

We also had the Amelanchier topped, and the ornamental cherry tree was entirely removed. :stew1:

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Well done to your BF and you for making the place brighter and cheerful.

Nice to know that your new place is going on very well!

9. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

So sorry for not posting any more pics, but things are somewhat hectic over here. Moving date is set for August 10th, and I officially hand in the keys of my old house on August 31st. Removal boxes everywhere :eek:
    Yesterday we broke down my pergola, it's now "parked" in my shed, waiting for transport. No idea what I'm going to do with all those poles, but I'm sure I'll think of something :D
    Keep watching this space............ :stew1:

Frank likes this.
  10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well it's now the 1st of August and I hope all went well and that the keys were handed back on schedule. I know it's a lot of upheavle moving house but it will be worth it in the end. You must be getting excited about moving into your new home on the 10th. I wish you many long, happy years ahead and look forward to your photographs whenever you get a chance to post some.

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Congratulations, it is just 9 more days and I'm sure everything will go on smoothly!:)

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Everyone here on the Stew has been following the amazing progress you've made on your new home. It is lovely, will only improve over time, and you will have many long and happy years there.

13. kate

kate In Flower

Its a dream home gardenelf,

Is it safe to plant on the front, any plants likely to get 'taken'?

14. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes :)
    Kate, I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. No plants have ever gone "missing" there as far as I know, but these days you never know. A number of houses there, including my mother's, were broken into a number of times, mostly just the sheds, where they took bicycles. Once they also got into the house, in broad daylight. My mum was on holiday at the time, and I got a phone call from her neighbour. Strangely enough, the only things missing were a couple of keys of my mum's work place :eek:
    At my previous address, my rubber doormat was stolen. One of those pretty ones, cast iron lookalike. Thank goodness they didn't touch my plants! Probably a drunken prank or something....
    Around Christmas time sometimes gardens are "stripped" of skimmia's. No skimmia's in my front garden, so no danger there :D

A little note on the photo's: the reason I post so few, is that I need to upload them to my cloud account, then download them onto another computer I have at my BF's, reduce them in size, and only then I can upload them here. Complicated and time consuming enough on a good day. At the moment it's more or less impossible :(

:stew1:

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It was time for another check-in to see how your mum's house was coming along. You know--I really like that yellow kuipstoel of yours. We have several in our house and I find that they sit quite comfortably.

I was alarmed to hear that people were stealing skimmia's from front gardens. That's too crazy for words.

Are you going to hold a housewarming party when you formally move into your new house?