My new house

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by gardenelf, Mar 11, 2015.

1. kate

kate In Flower

When funds allow put some double gates up at the front or only plant treasured plants at the back.

Get an alarm fitted. Some alarms can be foot sensitive under flag etc, some alarms can set off a water feature on entry. My sister's garden was built like that.

2. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I've heard of lawn ornaments being stolen here, mainly animals. Most people figure it's kids that steal them for target practice. Never any plants, but then very few people seem to put gardens in the front yards either.

3. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Nope, Sjoerd, no housewarming party here I'm afraid. To be really honest, I'm not a party person at all. However, the end of August there will be a Neighbourhood BBQ. Normally I'd politely decline the invitation, but this being my very first, I thought it wise to "attend", just to meet all the people living around me. In a way that, for me at least, is a kind of neighbourhood-warming :D

Kate, thank goodness I won't have to resort to gates or alarm systems: my neighbours sleep at the front of the house, and they are better than a guard dog when it comes to things that go bump in the night so to speak :eek:. Also, in front of my house is a pedestrian and cyclist zone only, no cars allowed. Makes stealing heavy stuff slightly more awkward. Nothing worth stealing, though, although at some point in the future I'd love a small ornament. Maybe I'll then tag it with some kind of GPS-chip or something, just in case it decides to "sprout legs"...... :)

Right at the back I've stacked some bricks I had left over, and placed some of my pots on them.

IMG-20150802-WA0002.jpg

Last week I went shopping in that big Swedish furniture-store, and came home with a cool rug for under the dining table. Now the table cloth really clashes with it, and I'm frantically looking for a replacement :p

IMG-20150804-WA0006.jpg
    Just 2 more days to go, and still sooooooo much to do! Hope I get things organised before the removal people come on Monday:eek::eek:
    I'll catch up with you all some time next week. Hopefully in a bit less of a stressfull mess than I am in now :fingerscrossed::stew1:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Sjoerd, 2ofus and Frank like this.
  4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Today is the BIG DAY for you, Congratulations for the BIG MOVE!!!
    HAPPY MOVING and BEST WISHES!!!

We can have a house warming right here in Garden Stew ya?!?!

Advertisement
  5. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Thank you KK, I'm happy to say all went very smoothly :)
    At 08.00 am there was this ENORMOUS removal-truck that stopped in front of my old house, I thought it would be way too big. Amazing how much stuff one has, because in no time it was quite full. Then came the operation of unloading it. The truck had to be parked at the front of the house, which is a pedestrian & cycling path only, with lots of very big trees. Cyclists had to cycle around it, which was quite amusing. Most people were understanding, except for one grumpy old gentlemen, who mumbled that this just wasn't acceptable at all. Probably had a bad night's sleep or something :D
    Anyway, by midday the removal guys were finished, all my furniture & boxes were in the right place. Now it's a matter of unpacking, which is also fun. As I've forgotten what I put in which box, unpacking each one feels a bit like Christmas Day :) The labels were quite small, so I couldn't list all that's in them.
    KK, the GS housewarming will be soon, I'll let you all know when all's unpacked and looking nice and homely again. Of course with photo's.
    My internet won't be connected until August 22nd, because when organising it, I thought I was moving the end of August. Thankfully I have my BF's internet I can use when I'm at his place.
    Keep watching this space, there'll be more! :stew1:

Frank likes this.
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Darn it all!! I'll probably be away on holiday when you post your photographs. :smt022However, I'll be back within a week so I'll be looking out for your post.:smt045 I'm glad everything went so smoothly and I hope you'll have everything ship shape in no time and can sit back and enjoy your new home.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Glad to hear you had a smooth move :stew1:It's amazing how you only realise how much stuff you have only once you start packing it. Good luck on the unpacking GardenElf :like:

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Glad to know everything went on smoothly:). Will be waiting patiently for your house warming here.:stew1::stew2:

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hoi meid.
    Now, that is quite a story. It has been some time hasn't it--this whole process. You must be quite a woman. I don't envy you at all, with all that work. Hopefully your BF and family could help a bit.

I looked at that table and your new rug and read how you thought it clashed. You know, you could always remove the table cloth and take the rug up and place it on your little table for an old fashioned kroeg/restaurant feeling. If you got comments just tell them that it's the retro look. ;)

I am looking forward to your house warming as well. I'm up for it....par-TAY, y'all.

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I know it is true, but it is so difficult to believe this is the same house and garden that you first posted. As Sjoerd said, you are quite a woman!
    Get a simple, one color cotton tablecloth--that is a great rug, and any other patterned fabric near it will just detract from the rug.
    Again, you have done an amazing job with your new home--house and garden. Enjoy the neighborhood BBQ--I bet you get a whole lot of compliments on what you have done!

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

As others have said, you have done an amazing job on your house and gardens. Fantastic! It sounds like you are an organized person so your house should be arranged and livable before too long. I'm glad that you are going to the Neighborhood B-B Q. It's good to meet your neighbors as they will keep an even closer eye on your home. I'll be waiting for pictures when you get settled in.

12. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Here's to all you lovely Stewbies who have been watching my progress & giving me so much moral support: a great BIG THANK YOU!!! You guys are the best :smt026
    I guess this is my last "new house" posting, because I've now kind of settled in. Okay, the official date is not until September 1st, but my old house is now definitely very empty & bare :eek:
    Of course I'll be sharing stuff here from time to time, probably mostly about the garden & plants.
    Today, however, I'm posting photo's of (most of) the finished house. The rooms not yet "for public viewing" are still in a bit of a removal-box-mess :oops::D
    Okay, here it goes:

20150816_112739.jpg

A bit grainy, but you get the idea. My Grandfather's old clock sounds really good when it chimes, the 'wall' it's mounted on is in fact wood.
    20150816_112958.jpg

20150816_113009.jpg

The small bedroom is now storage area, with a little reading corner tucked away at the back. My favourite :)
    20150813_063304.jpg

And now for the garden (still incomplete, some small pots still need to be shifted from my old garden)
    At last, it's beginning to look a bit like what I call a garden :)
    20150816_113052.jpg

Shame I could not capture how green everything looks. The weather today was a bit gloomy.
    20150816_113106.jpg

Both my neighbours have extended their houses at the back, which means they have lost the overhang that I still have. I sit on my cast iron bench when it's warm enough, even when it's raining a bit :cool:
    20150816_113118.jpg

Once again thanks for watching, folks!!
    As the garden is an ongoing project (isn't every garden ;)), there'll be more on it's progress from me here on the Gardenstew forum :stew1:

KK Ng, Sjoerd and Frank like this.
  13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Turned out amazing!

14. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I love your reading corner GardenElf, it looks extremely cosy. That was worth the move itself. Garden looks wonderful also.

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Your house and garden just scream "Home!" You have done wonders so far, and we're all anxious to see what other improvements you make.