My new puppy :)

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Netty, May 29, 2016.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Went to pick out my German Shepherd puppy this week. This little guy crawled right into my jacket and sat there like I was his mama. Then he started to lick my chin. That was all I needed ... he comes home in a few weeks. Sometimes, you have to let the puppy do the picking!

IMG_2246 (600x800).jpg

I want to name him 'Sergeant', but the rest of the family has other ideas.
    Unless they come up with a name I like better, Sergeant will be his name.
    Now to puppy proof the house!

Logan, Hummingbird, Bosque and 9 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Adorable! Just look at those feet--when he grows into them he'll be a big boy. That pup is not a sergeant, he is at least a colonel, and perhaps a general. How about naming him Robert E. Lee?
    We have a friend from Cajun country, and his dog is named Phideaux (pronounced Fido).

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

What a cutie!!!! I love the name. And yeah, I agree that sometimes the dog does the picking. I had been looking for a chi at the various rescue places around, but I was pretty specific about what I wanted. I didn't want a teeny tiny chihuahua, didn't want to have to deal with something that fragile. Even though it's become A Thing to breed them smaller and smaller, I knew of plenty and had seen plenty that were between 5 - 10 pounds and that's what I was looking for....the upper end of that range. Also I wanted a long haired chi, and a female, and a mature adult. And preferably not white because they shed and the white shows up on almost everything.

So what did I get? Yup, that's right, I got the complete opposite of everything I said above! :eek: I got a white, short haired teenaged male, who at the time was barely 2.5 pounds, and grew to be a whopping 3.5 pounds! But just like what happened with you Netty, Tango picked me....he put his teeny little paws on my knee when I was sitting on the ground, looked up at me with those big ole' eyes, that that was that. He was mine from then on, regardless of the fact that he had ZERO characteristics of what I was looking for. ;)

Philip Nulty and stratsmom like this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Netty, upon further consultation as to your pup's name, my husband holds the firm opinion that, since the dog will be living above the Mason-Dixon line ('way above!) he should have a Union general's name. How about Ulysses (as in Ulysses S. Grant)?

Philip Nulty and carolyn like this.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sergeant is a good name, he looks like he will be one too. Sergeants are the bosses of those under his command and every living thing is under his command so when you are out on your walks he will take no guff from any creature who tries to bother you.
    Anything above a Sergeant is a thinker and not necessarily a doer and thinks they are the only one who knows how to do anything....kind of like kids at a certain age.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Netty you've got a real winner there.:smt026 He's already a handsome little lad and will grow into a great looking shepherd. You're going to have so much fun once you get him home and, remember, we want progress photographs of everything he does. :headbang:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

How adorable! I give my stamp of approval!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

What a cutie!!!! He does have big feet!!! StratCat chose me so I know exactly what you mean when you said he chose you :p

Philip Nulty and marlingardener like this.
  10. Netty

Thanks all! I am excited to bring him home in a few weeks. We have already been puppy toy shopping ... things sure have changed in the pet store since I last had a puppy!

stratsmom and Philip Nulty like this.
  11. Netty

My daughter and I went to see our puppy again yesterday. He has grown!
    IMG_2406 (800x800).jpg
    Look very carefully at his nose ... I think I have a digger!! First order of training ... no digging!
    The next time we go, he will be coming home with us :)

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh my oh my! he/she is stinkin' cute! good luck on the digging training... it may be inbred in it... you might have to fill a lot of holes. I have a sniffer one... last week she got out because the door didn't latch and blew open over night... ugh! skunked! she smells everything outside and even when she is inside she can smell the deer in the woods when they are going through. she stands on point inside the house.... but she never digs.

does he have a name yet?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Your pup just gets cuter and cuter! You are going to have so much fun getting to know each other, and being trained by him (yes, it is time for my walk, so get up!).

14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Jeez he's cute! But sort of growing into his manliness too! ;)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Whoa Boy, he is both a cutie and a BIGGY. Our youngest works at a pet store so she keeps us up on the newest and best foods, etc for Wizard since just walking down the two pet food aisles is mind boggling.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  16. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sergeant is growing fast and before you know it he'll be home with you creating havoc. I love watching puppies growing up and seeing the antics they get up to. I can hardly wait to see the photographs of him once you get him home.

Philip Nulty likes this.