My New Water Feature...waterfall and creek

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by gfreiherr, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Before, during and after photos preserve the chronology which is usually lost to a fading memory, great pictures!! The feature is sure to be a hit with the local birds and wildlife. Can you hear the waterfall as the day sounds fade into night? Have you seen any local animals take advantage of the new water location?

Jerry

2. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Appreciate your comments Jerry. The waterfall sound is very strong. I can hear it clearly in the kitchen and on the screened porch with the windows closed. So far (from what I witnessed) just the birds, squirrels and chipmunks. A flock of 9 turkeys were heading towards it one morning but I went to get a photo and they flew off. Really don't want to encourage the turkeys...I have seen as many as 31 at one time. They usually just stay on the perimeter of the yard.

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

That is wonderful Gfreiherr, the sound of flowing water is soothing and your setup is beautiful. I am now in the midst of cleaning up my fountain after more than 4 years of continuous running and I missed the sound of running water. Hmmm ... maybe I should make a waterfall and creek too!!! :)

4. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Thanks KK, it is a very soothing sound. Happy New Year

Advertisement
  5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

gfreiherr, I always love water gardens. I have one out by the greenhouse. Because of where the buildings are placed you can hear the water falling all over our yard. It adds a beautiful dimension to the walks in our gardens.

Yours really looks wonderful and peaceful. That's why the birds love it. I would have my wild game cameras out there to see who visited when I was sleeping.

6. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Thanks Barb, I love to hear the sounds of the waterfall too. I may consider getting a wildlife camera at some point.

7. Jnieto0560

Jnieto0560 New Seed

Great Looking Project!

That looks fantastic. My pond, stream and waterfall project is in it's third year and I should have all of the hardscaping finished this year. Once that's done I'll post some pictures on it.

Frank likes this.
  8. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Thank you, if we did it ourselves it would probably take us 3 years. We had a landscaper do it
    :stew2: :stew2:

9. Jnieto0560

Jnieto0560 New Seed

I could have gone that route but I'm pretty sure I saved major $$$$ doing it myself. I'm a DIY nut so this seemed like something I just had to try. Even if it meant renting an excavator for a day!

10. MountainGuardian

MountainGuardian New Seed

Awesome.... I am working at 9am tomorrow putting stone in a water feature at my neighbors. I am really looking forward seeing it all done and running.

11. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Hi all...Its been a while since I checked in on the Stew. Did not plant a lot this year as I had rotator cuff surgery in April. I did add a splash of color around the pond this year. My best wishes to all.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from gfreiherr's Garden )

Frank, Sjoerd, Henry Johnson and 3 others like this.
  12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hi it had been a long time since I see you here in GS. Rotator cuff surgery is nasty ... hope you are all good now. Nice to have you back and your pond still looks great!

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That turned out beautifully, Gail. Very, very nice indeed. I hope that your shoulder is improving now.

Do you have further plans for this water feature next year? You have the most lovely beds there.

14. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Thanks KK & Sjoerd my shoulder is continuing to improve. I was released from PT at 4 months with good range of motion. I continue to work on stretching and strength daily, my surgeon says it will take a year or more to fully recover. My garden has been good therapy I just have to be careful and not overdo or the shoulder lets me know. Thanks for your comments :-D

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

....But tell me about how the water flows--is it with a pump that actually re-circulates the water? Or is is continually new water and the old water goes down a drain somewhere? Oe do you by some stroke of luck happen to have a natural spring nearby? The result of your work is very nice whatever the water situation.