My project & rocky soil

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Anonymous, Jun 8, 2005.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I suppose there are some natural sprays Murray but why dole out money on them? I certainly wouldn't. The 'weed and feed' will keep your lawn looking good and the bark will supress most of the weeds in your flower beds. Remember though a new garden will always have it's problems but, in time, things will, and do, get better. No garden can ever be totally weed free but that's part of being a gardener. :) If everything grew strong and healthy and every weed was eradicated what would you do with yourself? I'd be bored stiff just staring at a perfect garden and my hands would start to itch to get down into the soil and pick out the odd weed or two. :D :D
    I check my garden every week and any weeds that do pop their heads up can be easily picked out and disposed of when they are tiny.

2. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

ooh, i'm a bit of a perfectionist though, lol, suppose it will hep me suppress that then.

When you say 'picked out', do you dig them right up or just give them a tug?

This sounds good tho, I'm quite excited and it all sounds a bit simpler, a bit less money and a little more good old fashioned hard work.

I'm just curious, if you don't mind me asking, how do you and GardenStew know so much, is it just from a lot of experience of gardening, do you have jobs in the field? (get it? 'in the field').

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Well I will be the first to admit that Eileen's knowledge of gardening definitely surpasses mine :D I have to spread my knowledge between that and running the website (i.e. adding new features and functionality, also the design)

:)

4. eileen

Some weeds can just be tugged out - roots and all - others have to be dug out. It's all down to experience really and trial and error - you'll learn quickly (honestly) which is which. :)

"I'm just curious, if you don't mind me asking, how do you and GardenStew know so much"

You just pick it up as you go along Murray. You make mistakes, have disasters, start again, try out new methods and see what works for you. No, I've never 'worked in the field' (good one btw :D ) in fact I was a Vetereinary Nurse - not a lot of gardening involved it that eh? I asked loads of questions, read books, took advice and knuckled under. I'm still learning!!! :smt040

Advertisement
  5. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Vetereinary Nurse - sounds good.

Do either of you work? As you seem to be doing a good job maintaining this site and brushing up your gardening knowledge.

Or are you paid for this site at all.

Again, thanks for those tips, i should be sowing those seeds soon!

6. eileen

Well I don't go out to work any more but I still need more hours in the day!! I'm just a member of GardenStew same as you Murray. :)

Looking forward to the first 'greening up' piccie of that new lawn of yours. :D

7. Frank

Well I run numerous websites so that is my job, and it is constant work. It never stops. :smt024

Besides I love this site, even if I am inside sitting in front of my laptop I can still step into the world of gardening and view all your lovely pics :smt035

8. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

"Looking forward to the first 'greening up' piccie of that new lawn of yours." - So am I, did a little more work today so shouldn't be long before sowing now.

In all honesty i may just rake the soil i have after watering and scatter those seeds.

Cant seem to find any grass, B&Q and alike stores are far and topsoil costs a lot!
    I may have a drive to one of these stores at the weekend though.

So i should be planting those seeds by the end of the weekend.
    This gardening is becoming adictive and i have exams. It is a nice break from the revision but i seem to be doing too much of it.

"Well I run numerous websites so that is my job, and it is constant work. It never stops" - are you paid at all? What other sites do you run if you don't mind me asking.

"Besides I love this site, even if I am inside sitting in front of my laptop I can still step into the world of gardening and view all your lovely pics" - Aaaah!

9. Frank

Well the store on this site helps to support the site . ;)

10. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

You're doing a good job!

Just a little update.
    Not much at all has happened recently apart from some apples falling and a bit of raking and ripping out weeds!

BUT tomorrow I'm hoping to sow those seeds but need some final help.

B&Q or Homebase? (currently 10% off at homebase). What is the best one for a spot of garden shopping?

I can't find any sand anywhere but my mum can get hold of some cheap play sand for kids play areas, will this be ok?

Also, I looked for top-soil and there is no way I'm paying £50+ for a ton of mud, but I managed to find 20ltr bags in Poundstretcher which contain fertiliser so I'm going to go with that. Anyone see this as a big problem?

Remember I am on a TIGHT budget.

Thanks in advance!

11. eileen

I favour B&Q Murray as I find that even with 10% off Homebase can be quite expensive sometimes. It's best to compare prices at each place first though before finally buying.

The top soil out of poundstretcher will do fine. Don't know why you can't find sand as both stores always seem to have plenty around here. It's only for mixing with the seed to make it easier to sow - even builders sand would do. Play sand should be fine if your mum can get it cheaply for you. :)

Good luck with the sowing and remember water, water and water again preferably with a rose fitted to the hose so that you get a fine spray rather than a deluge!!!!

Cheers.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks a lot ;)

13. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Thanks for the help again, i went to B&Q and it was good, good stuff and good prices.

I ended up buying WAY too much and had to pay a cab to take half.

I got 5x100ltr bags of bark chipping, it says per bag it covers 4sqm, so I also think i need about the same again.

I got 5x35ltr top soil bags at about £3 each.

I got a long 'claw'.

I got that fine sand i was looking for, about £1 and also managed to get the cement and builders sand i needed to raise the level of the wall.

Oh and i also accidently brought 6x20ltr bags of compost. Ooops. I thought it was top soil but that was in the smaller bags only. Never mind. I also spent 20mins in "instore" believing i was in B&Q (same colour codes etc) and complained that it said they were open for another 2hrs when they shut.

I also looked for weed and feed and all of the boxes said you need to wait for atleast 6months until you can use it on new lawn. - Is this usual.

I also got some slow release fertiliser granuals to sprinkle into the soil. good idea? bad idea?

So i should be giving the garden another go tomorrow and hopefully, FINALLY getting those seeds down.

Let me know if you have any suggestions/last minute tips and thankyou for all your help!

14. eileen

Dangerous places those B&Q superstores aren't they Murray? :D :D I have to admit I can go in for 'just one thing' and come out with a car load!!! :oops: Glad you got everything you needed (and more ;) ) and at decent prices.

I'll ask my neighbour about the 'weed and feed' - sorry - can't help myself as I don't use it. I thought he said 6 weeks - maybe I picked him up wrongly - best check anyway as I don't want anything happening to that new lawn of yours when it greens up. :(
    Sounds as though you're going to be a tad busy from now on. :rolleyes: I take it you've not had a lot of time for your revision yet? Gardening's like that though once you start you don't know when to stop. :D That compost you bought in error? They'll exchange it in B&Q without any problems if it's actually top soil you want.
    Slow release granuales seem a good enough idea if you don't want to go organic although I use well rotted horse manure myself. (FREE around here!!)

Anyway must dash - off to see ospreys today. :)

Bye for now.

15. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Thanks again for all that good advice.

I did notice today that each one of those BIG bags of bark say they cover 4sqm and I have 5 bags making that 20sqm but my garden is 66sqm so i would need atleast another 10 Now that looks like a lot, infact it looks like too much, i mean we are talking 500ltr of the stuff. Do you think it will still do the job, maybe just not as good?

Thanks ;)